Chapter 7

Nights ran cooler and brought a crystallized layer of frost. The ground crackled under Edward's feet as he sped through the forest searching out prey—mostly deer, but sometimes wild boar. Neither whetted his appetite, and Edward longed for the more difficult quarry he'd known in America. The perfunctory feedings barely mollified his hunger; still, he no longer wished to be away from the cabin for long.

He told himself he wasn't waiting for Draco, but was no longer foolish enough to believe the lie.

Draco's visits became irregular. Sometimes Edward wouldn't see him for days at a time, and others he'd knock at the cabin door on an almost nightly basis. Every visit, however, was tinged with the lust and want of the first few—they couldn't seem to get enough of each other, especially after long stretches spent apart.

"Where have you been?" asked Edward one evening. It had been almost two weeks since he'd seen his lover, and they'd just spent hours sucking and pawing and frotting. Finally, Edward didn't even think he could will an erection despite his brief vampire refraction period. Nor could Draco. He lay sprawled out on the bed, his spent penis softening on his thigh.

Draco's brow darkened. "School."

"Yes, I know that," Edward replied, trying not to roll his eyes. "That's not what I meant."

"You know I can't tell you."

"But why?"

Edward ran his hand down Draco's ribcage, noticing how it seemed so much more pronounced than just weeks ago. He pressed a kiss just under the curvature of the bone where a slight bruise was blossoming, wanting to remove the blond's shirt completely, but knowing by now that Draco would never let him. There was something he didn't want Edward to see.

"I can't."

"That's what you keep saying."

"Because it's true, isn't it?" Draco snapped, sitting up on the bed and reaching for his briefs.

"You can trust me."

"Just like you trust me with your story, hmm?" The wizard stood, fastening the button on his trousers.

Edward growled in frustration. He didn't want Draco to leave, not when he didn't know if he'd be back. Or when. But they'd reached an impasse.

"Are you going?" he asked, unable to keep the sullen tone from his voice.

Draco turned his back and buttoned his shirt.

"I can't stay tonight."

"I see."

"It's not . . ." Draco paused, his expression softening a bit. "It's not because of what you asked. I think I'm being followed."

"By whom?"

Draco shook his head, glancing at the door. "Doesn't matter."

"You're being followed and it doesn't matter?"

"I'm not worried . . . the person doesn't really represent a threat. It's . . . complicated."

"When will you be back?"

"Dunno."

"Right. Well, I'll see you later then," Edward replied bitterly. "Don't mind me. Maybe I'll see you again one of these days." He intended the words to burn. He was being selfish, but he didn't care.

Edward had never asked Draco if he had another lover. Clearly the wizard had more experience than he when it came to sex, but then again, most people did. He wrenched the thought from his mind, knowing if he dwelt on it too long he'd go mad with jealousy. But even that though was more palatable than his greatest fear—that Draco was in danger.