Fifty-Three

This was so not what I needed.

I had thought that I had been clear with Adrian; one night, with the intentions of there being no encore. I had slept with him to get him out of my system - not that it had really worked. I wanted him just as much as ever, if not even more so now.

But that was beside the point.

How dare he suggest an encore?! And in that almost offhanded manner of his, as though it was just expected. As though now that I had given myself to him, he could just have me whenever he wanted.

Well, I think not, sir!

Not because I didn't want him, but sheerly due to the principle of the thing.

I had made a decision, as an adult, one that I had to honor now if I wanted to maintain my own self-respect.

Even if it sucked. And no matter how much I might like him to take advantage of me, quite thoroughly, in fact.

I had to be strong and resist him. I had to. It was the only way I could keep working for him without entirely losing my power to him.

If I just kept giving him what he wanted...I would truly be just his bitch.

###

The rest of the day was pure agony.

A pleasant day, to be sure, but pure agony nonetheless.

Ty got to plan our excursions for the day so first we went to a place just down the road from the cabin where they rented bicycles to cruise along the shore of the lake.

It was hilarious to see Adrian on a bike; I had thought him surely too cool to bike, but looking at him in his board shorts and aviators with a bright blue polo shirt, he could've been any other dad in the neighborhood.

Mike and Kane drove slowly along with us from the comfort and safety of the luxury SUV, also a rental. Adrian had money coming out of his ears and so every unnatural convenience was ours.

Ty and I had the most amount of fun out of our merry little gang, however.

We sped ahead together, racing each other and leaving his dad and my employer in the dust.

I paid for winning the race by receiving a stern lecture from Mike just a moment later.

The big black vehicle swerved right in front of me at a crossing onto the beach parking lot.

Mike leapt out of the driver's seat to glare down at me and I skidded to a stop to stare guiltily up at him.

"Are you TRYING to make my job hard?!" He snapped at me.

Ty and then Adrian caught up to us a moment later.

"You cheated!" Ty accused me.

"Something wrong?" Adrian asked Mike, coming to a stop with a practice foot planted to the ground. He ran his hand absently over his kid's helmet, probably expecting a mop of brown curls to be there waiting for him.

Mike clearly rethought his shouting approach when it came to Adrian. "Sorry, sir. I was just telling Ms. Mathers here that she just can't zoom ahead like that if she expects me to be able to properly do my job."

Adrian turned to me and I winced, half-expecting a berating from him now. "Okay, no more racing, guys."

Ty groaned loudly in protest. "But we have to have a rematch, Dad! She cheated!"