Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

Thirty Two

My sense of direction is not advanced enough to know where I've been taken, even after looking at the blueprints, but we were walking for nearly 20 minutes through halls, down staircases, past endless closed doors.

The room I was left in is small and enclosed, only a window letting a slither of the outdoor light in. But I've been here so long the sky has turned dark, my back aching and eyes drooping. It's been so long since I've slept. A fire roars on the wall, lined with musty library books. The guard ordered me to sit in the small, wooden chair in the centre of the room, and then he left.

The first hour or so, I sat back straight, mind and body on edge. But as time passed and nothing came or went, my mind wandered. I don't realise I've fallen asleep until something cracks, and I force my eyes open to meet a pair of dark, blue eyes.

I leap in the chair, dragging it backwards a few feet, my heart hammering.

An elderly man sits in a chair by the fire, his legs folded, and hands rested calmly on his knees, eyes on me. He tilts his head silently as I adjust myself, straightening my back and looking back at him.

"I apologise for disturbing you, Miss Raune."

His voice is so quiet it can barely be heard over the fire; he's so frail the chair dwarfs him.

"Sorry," I murmur, clearing my throat. "I didn't mean to fall asleep."

"You have had quite the journey."

His bald head is speckled with sunspots, face lined with wrinkles. He raises a shaky hand, reaching for a walking stick by his side and using it to help him stand.

"Are you one of the King's advisors too?"

"I am a healer. Please, child, give me your hand."

I tentatively reach a hand out, my fingers quivering as he takes it. His skin is warm and leathery as he turns my hand over, examining the lines of my palm. "Interesting," he murmurs, running a long finger all the way to my wrist. "Not at all like the boy. Though I suppose you are not related at all, are you?"

"You've seen Samu?"

"He spoke highly of you, Miss Raune."

I didn't anticipate the rise of emotion at his words. I bite the inside of my cheek, trying to keep tears from seeping from my eyes. "Is he... is he alright?"

The man does not respond, only fuelling the rising emotion inside of me. I can't stop the stray tear that leaks onto my cheek. The man clicks his tongue. "Do not cry."

I swipe at my cheek, embarrassed. Perhaps it's foolish, but in the presence of this elderly man who seems like he may snap at a loud noise, my guard drops slightly. There's something about him that reminds me of my father—his brown eyes, quiet voice, gentle hands.

"I just want to understand why he was brought here. Why I am here."

"I would like to ask you some questions to understand some things myself while I examine you for injury, would that be alright?" I nod tentatively. "You are an only child, yes?"

"No, there's Samu."

"He was adopted."

"He's my brother."

He pulls a wooden tube from the desk drawer and places it to my chest. "But other than Samu, there are no others?"

"No."

"Did your father ever speak about your mother?"

I never thought about her much, I tried not to. It was only when I saw the way Cadence was with her mother that I wished I could have one of my own. But still, thoughts of here have always been minimal. But now—Myers, Elora, Trina, and this man have all asked about her.

icon lock

Show your support for Grace, and continue reading this story

by Grace
@cloudedwithstories
Shifters never mingle with humans. They reside high in the mountains...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 10 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @cloudedwithstories.