Prologue

JAZZ

A woman in her early twenties stared into the mirror in a dim, flickering restroom. Her reflection was a dark silhouette in the rectangular panel of glass. Meanwhile, she braced her arms around the sink, her breath heavy and ragged. Every slender muscle in her five-foot-two figure stirred.

"My name is Jazz," she whispered, staring into her dark nut-brown eyes—eyes pricking with tears, blurring her vision until anyone would mistake it for a kaleidoscope. "Jazz Khen." But that wasn't her name. Until now, it wasn't.

What was her real name? Even Jazz herself wasn't ready to disclose her real name. The mere idea left a pit swelling in her stomach, and her breath hitched.

No. Not now. She wouldn't give in to his wishes: breaking at the thought of what they did—more rather, what she did for him. He was the monster. And yet she gave him everything.

Bastard, she wanted to hiss at him. Everything. She lost everything because of him. So, she became Jazz Khen.

And she was here for a reason.

Just as Jazz began to focus on steadying her breath, the blaring music became audible. A thumping techno beat.

Adrenaline rose through her veins. It was time—time for payback. And payback was a bitch. And so was Jazz.