Tomoko

"They're leaving soon?" The words slipped from y/n's lips slowly, trying to register what she had just been told. "Where to?"

Giran shook his head. "Couldn't tell ya. Overseas, from what I heard. Dunno where specifically."

Y/n's stomach turned, knotting up so tightly that a wave of nausea sunk in. She let out a shaky breath. Her head hung low as she spoke no louder than a whisper. "This weekend."

A long, drawn-out silence closed the gap between the two. Y/n's head hung low, her eyes fixed to her hands folded onto her lap. She twiddled her fingers. Across the table, Giran sat quietly. It almost felt as if he wasn't in the room and she was alone with her thoughts.

Her eyes traveled up to meet his, and her head soon followed as she sat up straight. Her brows furrowed, and she shifted forward into her seat, leaning against the desk. She was dumbfounded. It felt as if life wasn't pulling any punches and dealing her one inconvenience after another. It was overwhelming. She wanted nothing more than a break.

The reality of the situation sunk in, and her voice faltered. "That's... not enough time. I already had important plans this weekend."

Giran's gaze dropped. He flicked the cigarette in his fingers. Ash dropped from the cherry onto a tray. He spoke in a low, almost mournful tone. "I know. Sorry, kiddo."

"No need." Upon hearing her reply, he returned his gaze to her. Her lips quivered as she tried to feign a smile. "I'm grateful, I really am. There's no way I could have found them without you. They would have left the country before I even got go look for them."

"So, what are ya going to do?" Giran asked. Y/n shrugged her shoulders and slumped forward until her cheek touched the wooden desk. Both of them knew she didn't know what was next; still, she couldn't admit it out loud. She didn't want to.

Her plans to invade Okano's base had finally come to a head after months of planning. Y/n worked hard to get to this point and, in a flash, this news ruined everything.

Defeated, Y/n rose from her chair. Her eyes lingered on the box pushed off to the side on Giran's desk-a complete overhaul of her villain costume. As sentimental as she felt about the hoodie she wore, she was well aware she needed something of her own. "Do you mind if I leave all that stuff here for a little longer?"

"Of course not." The once grim tone in his voice lightened with the sudden subject change. "I wouldn't make you carry that entire box all the way home by yourself."

Giran stood up as she made her way out of the office. The doorknob creaked as he held the door open for her. Y/n stopped at the doorframe and glanced over her shoulder. "I could, you know."

He chuckled under his breath. Giran placed a firm hand on her shoulder. "I know."

"What did you and that old man talk about?" Tomura asked.

Y/n was thrown off guard. Tomura had stopped prying into her business whenever she visited Giran years ago. He had long begun to understand that the two were close, and her visits to his office seldom had anything to do with The League or villainy.

She opened her mouth but then hesitated. How could she dance around the truth without activating her quirk? There was still so much Tomura didn't know, making talking about the visit complicated.

"I took a look at some gear I ordered." That much was true. Y/n still felt the excitement as she tried it on.

"As long as you got it at a discount," he muttered. Tomura appeared content with her answer. He returned his attention to his game and didn't ask any further questions.