Book 4 Chapter XXI: The Trap is Baited

Warning: contains self-harm (...sort of).

When people say impossible, they usually mean improbable. -- Leigh Bardugo, Siege and Storm

The three of them listened to Abi's story in horror.

"Someone stole a monster? Someone stole a monster?" Irímé repeated the words under his breath as if he couldn't quite grasp their meaning. Finally he demanded, "Why?"

Abi could only shrug helplessly. "I don't know, but it's not for anything good. I can't imagine anyone wanting to unleash the monsters on another planet, especially when they're likely to become a victim themselves, but that's what will happen if the one on that ship bites anyone. Hell, it might have already bitten someone on board." She just knew she was going to have nightmares about that thought. "So we've got to get rid of all the monsters here and then get back to Saoridhlém as fast as we can. Ilaran thinks the ship might be connected to Haliran."

Something sharpened in Lian's eyes. "Haliran? Do you by any chance mean Haliran Norshinthadsvóeln d'ran-Ohéridh?"

"I don't know her matronymic or clan name[1]," Abi admitted. "I only know her as Haliran-rúduan."

Lian nodded slowly. His lips thinned and his eyes narrowed. "Is she the one who forced her husband to marry her?"

Abi glanced down at Shizuki -- who had gone eerily still when his mother was mentioned -- then exchanged a look with Irímé. Both of them were thinking the exact same thing. Shizuki picked up on it and complained at once.

"I know what you're thinking," he said in an aggrieved tone. "You think I'm too young to listen! I'm not!"

Abi sensed a tantrum was imminent. She and Irímé exchanged distinctly more panicked glances this time. Lian stepped in before Shizuki could get too angry.

He knelt down so he was on eye level with Shizuki. "It's not that you're too young, just that some things are better not spoken about to anyone unless we have no choice."

Shizuki scowled. "It's stupid. Everyone cares so much about not talking about things. I've seen those things! Father lived them! Not talking about it doesn't do anything."

Lian gave Abi a questioning look. She explained with a very brief, "Haliran's his mother."

Lian looked startled, while Shizuki's scowl intensified. "Not my mother. I hate her."

"Can't say I blame you," Lian said, recovering quickly from his surprise. "I take it that you already know the... deeply unpleasant nature of your parents' marriage?"

Shizuki nodded and shrugged at the same time. "Don't know everything. Know Father hates her and she hates him."

"How do you know about Haliran and Siarvin?" Irímé asked Lian.

"It's a long story." Everything seemed to be a long story with Lian. "After I left my parents' home--" What an understated way to describe that incident, "--I worked with an alchemist for a while. Haliran was an old friend of hers and she often talked about her. I've never met Haliran but I heard a lot about her. Like how she ended up married to that unfortunate man. Siarvin, did you say his name is? I hope his life has improved now?"

Abi and Irímé nodded. "He divorced her and now he's living in Ilaran's principality."

"I hope they have guards," Lian said grimly. "I wouldn't be surprised if Haliran wants to unleash that monster on them."

Shizuki drew his breath in sharply. He looked up at Abi. "Warn Ilaran! You have to warn him!"

"He already knows," Abi assured him. "Haliran won't get anywhere near them." To Lian and Irímé she added, "We'd better finish up here as fast as we can. When all the monsters are dead we'll find a survivor who can fly a spaceship, or Lian can take us home through the Void." She shuddered at the idea, but it was certainly the fastest way she knew of that would get them home. "Irímé, follow me in your dragon form and I'll lead you to the theatre. Then I'll summon all the monsters and we can destroy them. Lian, keep Shizuki here."