Chapter 4 - Unexpected Events

******[BILAL]******

The cafeteria's buzz became a distant hum as my gaze locked onto Umair, who sat across from the girl I had always thought too self-assured. I had dared him to strike up a conversation with her, convinced she'd reveal the spite I was sure lurked beneath her facade. But as fate would have it, her smile was genuine, and she seemed sincere when she spoke to him. And to my dismay, Umair seemed visibly charmed. My heart raced as I watched them converse as though they shared a history, and it bothered me more than I wanted to admit.

I wasn't the only one watching them. A few girls had abandoned their meals, pointing at Reeha and whispering secrets. At the other end of the cafeteria, Shameer's face was etched with anger. His fingers curled into white knuckles as he glared at Umair. Aadhil and Hathim had their arms around him like they were worried he might start a fight if they would let him loose. It appeared that at least half the students were more intrigued by Reeha and Umair's exchange than their lunch.

I couldn't help wondering why she was being so uncharacteristically nice to him because in any other case, she wouldn't have even cast a look at the other person's face. Could it be because of Umair's alluring good looks? Last year, our class girls had secretly ranked the cutest guys in school_ a list that became infamous when our teacher discovered it. They had crowned Umair as the undisputed heartthrob, citing his long lashes, straight nose, and mesmerising smile. I recalled the whispers and giggles whenever he passed, the way eyes followed him. Perhaps even Reeha wasn't immune. Had I inadvertently nudged him into her orbit?

Umair returned to me with a small smile, suggesting that he had won the deal. "See, she's not the arrogant queen you think she is, Bilal." He stated, throwing his arm around my shoulders.

"Well, she's trying to trick you," I muttered, narrowing my brows at him. "And you look like you've already fallen for her trap. She's a fake, Umair. She's only nice because of your looks."

Shameer's voice boomed down the hall before Umair could reply, and we both turned around to face him. He strode up to us, both Hathim and Aadhil following close to him, looking alarmed. Shameer's jaws were clenched, his eyes fixed on Umair, and his hands were still balled into fists as if ready to lash out at him. I instinctively pushed Umair behind me, shielding him from Shameer's wrath.

"Seriously?" Shameer’s voice was laced with frustration. "Was this your plan all along? To get Reeha to notice you before I even had a shot?”

"Umair and I made a deal this morning." I reasoned. "He lost, so I dared him to talk to her."

"What deal?" Hathim asked out of curiosity as he adjusted his transparent glasses.

"We raced to Norman's parking lot," I clarified. "He simply fulfilled the dare— nothing more.”

"Then why would she talk to him as if she already knew him?" Shameer raised the question that I had been wondering myself. "We all know that she hardly talks with anyone. She doesn't even sit with the other girls, but she lets him sit with her. Why's that, Umair? Talk to me!"

"I can't help it if she seems drawn to me," Umair retorted, stepping beside me, his voice steady but laced with an edge of defensiveness. "If you're so smitten with her, why don't you just tell her?"

"Easy for you to say." Shameer snapped, his gaze flickering to Reeha, who sat still on her chair, looking effortlessly graceful. "But you've already ruined my chances with her, haven't you? You knew I liked her, yet you still played the charmer."

"I wasn't flirting, I swear!" Umair protested, his hands raised in innocence. "It's only because of Bilal's ridiculous dare that I even spoke to her."

The air was thick with unspoken words and pent-up frustrations. Shameer's shoulders, once rigid with anger, started to drop as he processed Umair's words. The realization that it was all a misunderstanding seemed to take the edge off his fury.