Chapter Sixteen: The Art of Being a Villain

Eclipse's POV

It wasn't the chilly night wind that ruffled my sandy locks that made me shiver. It wasn't the shifting of shadowy silhouettes illuminated beneath the dim streetlights that made me tremble. Of all things, it was the sight of a mere darkened building that made me quake like a leaf.

I wrapped my arms around myself as if trying to give myself a reassuring hug as I craned my neck to blink up at the steel, rectangular building. Unlike the Elite Headquarters, this building was short in height and appeared to have only one story. But what it didn't have in height, it made up for in length.

While the Elite Headquarters gave off the impression of being inviting, this building was fashioned to be intimidating. A chain-link fence barricaded the headquarters, barbed wire coiled over the top of the fence to keep out intruders. The whole building was shrouded in darkness except for a few stray torches that sprinkled the exterior of the headquarters and two, scarlet-lit spotlights that were trained on the entrance, bathing the iron, dual doors in a crimson glow.

It would be so easy to walk away. I exhaled, smoothing out my clothes and breaking my gaze away from the Reigner Headquarters. I wasn't sure where my teammates were or why no one had greeted me yet. They weren't expecting me to climb over the fence by myself, were they? Granted, I could levitate over it, but I didn't want them to know that I was a Prodigal, especially not the Prodigal, Eclipse.

I also couldn't understand why the Reigners insisted upon starting us tonight rather than this morning like the Elites did. Maybe the Reigners had simply wanted to be unique, but I couldn't deny the fact that I would much rather be asleep in my bed right now rather than being here. I had a feeling it was going to be a long night.

I winced and shielded my eyes with the back of my hand when I was suddenly blinded by headlights, a muddy van inching along the street uncertainly. They must have been searching for the Reigner Headquarters because the brakes squealed as it halted by the curb. The left, rear door crusted over with rust groaned in protest as it was shoved open and a short figure stumbled out onto the sidewalk. The van's cabin lights flickered on once the door was opened, revealing the figure to be one of my teammates, since I recognized her vaguely from the arena.

"Remember to purchase that special feed for the Angus!" She leaned into the van, yanking out a suitcase and sliding the door shut. She must have forgotten something, because she jerked the door back open to yell into the backseat, "And stop giving Ferdinand muddy pond water! He's got a sensitive stomach!"

"Stop fussing over the cattle and enjoy yourself." A deep, masculine voice rumbled from the driver side of the car, and I assumed it was her father. "Try to not make any enemies."

"That's impossible for her. That's like telling her to not breathe." A young boyish voice sang teasingly from the backseat, earning a death glare from the girl as she slammed the door and stomped away from the van and towards me, suitcase in tow.

"I make no promises." She dipped her head in the direction of the driver, waving her family away dismissively. "Wish me luck. Pray I don't die."

"Sweetheart, that wasn't funny. You shouldn't make light comments like that." A soft, motherly voice wafted from the passenger seat, shockingly contrasting against my teammate's harsh, boisterous tone. "Have fun, stay safe, try to be happy, and don't think about the farm. It'll be difficult to manage it without you, but we'll be okay." The voice paused, compassion oozing through her warm tone. "We love you, Fiona."

"Yeah sure." The girl—Fiona, her mother had called her—plopped her suitcase down with an exaggerated thump, not even bothering to look at her father, her mother, or her little brother as she turned away from them coldly. "Bye."