36. "It's Really Over."

(Jenelle's POV)

(Jenelle's POV)

Everything had happened so fast, I almost believed Brian had put such a good Imperius Curse on me that I had dreamt the whole thing. The slight concussion and bruises on my body said otherwise.

The uncomfortable hospital mattress helped stir me awake, in addition to the pulsing headache in the front of my head. Going from such darkness to light made me cover my eyes. As I adjusted, I saw fresh flowers in a vase, a variety of colors. I was glad it didn't hurt to smile.

Turning my head, the door to my room remained closed. To my left, a curtain shielded me from another patient. I couldn't get a good idea from the shadows the curtain showed me, but it seemed my roommate was sleeping, so I figured it was safest to not wake them.

From under my chest downwards was sore, as though I had been on my feet for a full day without sitting. My back seized with any little movement. Bandages were wrapped around my head. I remembered a piece of ceiling attacking from above, striking me good on the head. I had been in and out of it, more so when huge pieces came raining down and collapsed on me. I should have broken bones. I should be in worse shape.

Despite the throbbing in my head, my mind ran with questions. St. Mungo's, I hoped, could give them to me. I knew what had happened had been one-hundred percent real, there was no doubt. I was missing pieces. Perhaps they were absent for good reason.

I don't have the curse on me anymore. I didn't know what that meant for Brian.

In my stewing thoughts, I hadn't realized I had gotten a visitor until they crossed in front of my bed. But I couldn't understand why Draco Malfoy of all people would want to visit me.

"Don't tell me you got me those," I said to him, pointing to the flowers.

"Not me," he said. "Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not here for you. But I am glad you're looking better."

I was glad I was lying down still, the compliment floored me. In my few interactions with him, I hadn't known he could say such things. "You were there."

He nodded once. "You've got quite the knight in your corner. If anything, he probably got you those. Besides," he showed me a small bouquet full of pale blues, "I brought my own."

I looked at the curtain again. Something in the back of my mind told me I'd heard him say Ember's name in the arena. Was that real or just some altered reality my concussed brain conjured? If she was my roommate, I'd be content with that.

"Don't worry, I'm sure someone will come see you soon," he told me reassuringly before moving past my bed.

I tried my best to ignore any soft words he spoke on the other side of the curtain.

For a while, no one showed. Not Neville, or my parents, or Hermione. I didn't know the scope of the raid party that had broken in. Was that even last night?

The more I tried to piece together the breakout, the more my mind told me it was a bad idea. After a while the throbbing in my skull became too much. I slept for a little, slightly waking for a nurse to check on me. I was back out minutes after he left.

This time, I woke to voices.

"She's been through so much at too young an age," said a soft, female voice. "I can't imagine the trauma it's done to her. The Battle was hard enough on her, but this..."

"We'll help her work through it, don't you worry, Claire."

Claire. Oh. I opened my eyes to see Mum's teary, relieved face. Nala squirmed in her arms, desperate to jump into my lap. Quickly, Mum transferred my cat over. She purred very loudly.

"It's been too long," I whispered.

"We were kept in the dark about so much," said Dad gravely. "Once we were safe, an Auror would come check on us. We had to verify them every time. They wouldn't allow us a secret meeting with you, or allow us to go looking ourselves. They wanted to keep us out of the equation. We just spoke to Mr. Potter about the situation..."

"You mean Harry Potter?"

Dad nodded. "He told us the conditions you were kept under, what they made you do." He inhaled deeply. "They're still gathering information from the rest that were abducted. Some of the bastards who took you all are serving life sentences behind bars. Those who fled are considered Most Wanted now. It's only a matter of time before they're caught and served justice."

"Sweetheart, your head," said Mum.

"It hurts," I admitted. "I think until I'm concussion-free, this is my bed. At least I've got someone to share the room with."

A throat clearing stopped the family reunion. Nala meowed curiously at Neville, who lingered with the door half open.

"I would've been here sooner, but the paperwork we've gotten since the raid is unbelievable," he ranted coolly. "Oh, good, you got the flowers."

"They're really pretty," I said shyly. "Thank you."

"Good to see you again, Mr. Longbottom," Dad said formally. "You Aurors certainly have your work cut out for you. I hope you knew what you were getting into."

"I did, and I don't regret it. I've got a chance to keep the peace. It's something this world needs right now."

"It does indeed," Mum agreed. She looked to Dad. "Let's give them a moment, yeah? We'll leave Nala with you, sweetie."

Nala head-butted me until I gave her attention. Mum and Dad took their leave, and Neville made his way into Mum's seat closest to my bedside.

"So it's really over," I said.

"Not entirely for the Aurors, but for you and the rest we saved, yes, it's over. The place crumbled. Anyone that was captured is here as well."

"There are a few people I'm worried about."

"Well, currently, there's one that I'm worried about, and she's right here. How's your head?"

"Still hurts, but I think it's getting better."

"Good to hear."

I smiled sadly. "So I guess once I'm out of here, I'm out of your hair for good."

"So it would seem."

But I don't want to be. The words couldn't get out, though. "You're a good person, Neville. I think you chose the right profession." I snorted a laugh. "I'm pretty sure I owe you my life now, with how many times you've saved it."

"You know I don't expect you to owe me anything. This is my job, Jenelle. This is what I do."

"Will you try and visit more?"

"I'll try every day if you want me to."

"I'd like that."

"Good god, just snog already!" came Malfoy's interjection.

Neville and I quickly avoided eyes, a furious blush rising on my skin.

"He was so quiet I actually forgot he was there," I said. I hoped his patient got their own room or moved out soon, because I wasn't sure if Neville or I could take his comments if we were all in the same space together.