XVIII: My name is Maria

Chapter 28: My name is Maria

Peter felt like he couldn't breathe. He ran as fast as he could as he jumped off the ledge of the platform and followed his girlfriend's path as she fell at an alarming speed to the ground. Peter knew that if Maria was awake, that she could have saved herself so that she could fly herself back up to safety. But no matter what, Peter wouldn't let Maria hit the ground. He would never let the love of his life die. He tried everything to push himself to go faster, be quicker, to make it in time in his attempts to save her life.

Peter reached out his hand as he got closer to Maria who was still passed out as he tried to latch his hand into her's. Her arm was just out of reach and since she wasn't awake, she couldn't reach out to him. Peter also noticed a small change in Maria as her original suit had now transformed into a new suit that had a golden Phoenix placed in the chest area. Peter shook his head, clearing that from his mind before focusing on what he was originally doing, saving his girlfriend's life. Peter was just about to grasp onto her hand when he felt a powerful force hit him from the side as he was flown away from Maria. Peter screamed out as he looked back at his girlfriend who was still not awake, and with Peter out of reach now, she was on her descent to her death.

Peter 3 hearing Peter 1's screams looked over to him as he was being flown away by the Green Goblin. Peter 3 looked to where Peter 1's gaze was focused on as he looked down to see Maria was still falling speedily to the ground and nobody was around to save her and she was still passed out.

"NO!" Peter 3 screamed as he launched himself off the ledge and pushed himself to get to Maria as quickly as he could knowing he had to do this. He had to save Mj for Peter 1. He couldn't let Peter 1 lose Mj. Not like he had lost Gwen.

Peter 3 got closer to Maria's falling body he reached out but stopped abruptly as he got a flashback to reaching out to Gwen's falling body. Peter 3 took a deep breath as his mind continued to play tricks on him and switched between Maria and Gwen's falling bodies as he tried to block out his memories for a moment so that he could save Maria. Peter 3 felt his body collide with Maria's as he wrapped his arms around her and secured her around him before shooting a web to attach itself to one of the platforms that was left standing.

Peter 3 felt himself land on the ground softly as his body slowly bounced, making him let go of the web and grabbing a better hold of Maria's body. Peter 3 slowly looked down at Maria who was still passed out as he slowly lowered himself to the ground in a kneeling position and set Maria's legs down and held the upper half of her body as she tried to shake her awake.

"Hey, hey, Mj, wake up," Peter 3 said as he placed his gloved hand on her cheek, but to no avail, Maria was unresponsive. "Hey come on, come on, wake up, you gotta wake up Mj."

Peter 3 felt his eyes begin to fill with tears as he tried to shake her harder so she would wake up, feeling himself having deja-vu from when he tried to wake Gwen up from her fall. Although this time he felt better knowing that Maria's heart was still beating. Even then, he felt his body fill with desperation as he tried to make sure she woke up. Reliving his trauma in this moment was definitely not doing any favors for his fragile mental state.