CHAPTER 60

Ch.60 – Does Love at First Sight Exist in Esports?

For a time, the South Korean team captain’s countenance was somewhat unpleasant as he stood in front of
Yao Sen.

The arena’s dazzling lights lit every player’s face, allowing a perfect glimpse of their expressions. The audience filled the oval-shaped seating area, cameras were positioned in every nook and cranny, the host and commentators were warming up, and cheers and shouts of encouragement in a variety of languages could be heard continually.

This was Titans’s second time facing the South Korean team, who were also the first team they drew in the second stage.

When you think about it, the South Koreans had already lost twice to the Titans, once in the Asian regionals and then in the qualifiers a few days before. Having been matched up with Titans right at the start of the second stage, the atmosphere around the South Korean team seemed rather heavy.

Meanwhile, Yao Sen was incredibly relaxed. At present, it was time for the pre-match handshake; Yao Sen stood in front of the South Korean captain and looked at him with a smile. As the two men shook hands, the atmosphere was quite harmonious—so long as you ignored the grave expression the South Korean captain was sporting.

After shaking hands, the two teams went their separate ways to take their seats on the elevated platforms.

The S-shaped elevated platform arena was gorgeously designed. As they walked across it, they could greet the fans who were seated in the VIP area. Wang Yuxi smiled as he waved at Titans’s cheering fans, then turned his head to furtively whisper to Bai Yue: “South Korea’s captain is so fierce, man.”

Bai Yue gave him a sidelong glance. “Haven’t you been watching a lot of Korean dramas? Why don’t you go and trash talk them a little?”

“Oppa, saranghaeyo!” Wang Yuxi deliberately winked and directed a finger heart towards Bai Yue. “What do you think? Was that intimidating enough?”

“……”

“I only know these two words!”

“……Lao-Wang, promise me, stop acting up before a game. Focus.”

The four of them took their seats, which then rose to a height of about eight metres in the air in the curved arena. A sweeping glance around gave them a clear glimpse of the densely packed audience.

Wang Yuxi sucked in a gulp of cold air. “Damn, I’m actually kinda scared. What the hell am I gonna do?”

Yao Sen: “Let’s take this in three rounds, shall we?”

Wang Yuxi: “……Music to my ears!”

Bai Yue: “Our lord captain, what of our strategy?”

“Formation B. Lao-Wang, Lao-Bai, maintain your HPs. Lao-Song and I will hang back and defend our rear,” Yao Sen answered resolutely. “Their captain’s a pretty formidable sniper. Lao Song, pay attention. Look for opportunities to ambush him first.”

The other three chorused: “OK.”

Titans typically used Formation B, with an emphasis on offence and certain players seeking to retain as much of their HP as possible in preparation for late game, when the number of players would have dropped.

The single-elimination round was longer, with best-of-five matches that put the players’ focus and mental fortitude to the test. After the Titans took two games in a row, the South Korean team’s impatience was palpable, which directly led to a grave lapse in judgement by its players in the third game.