8 • New

My room is emptier than I have ever seen it before. All of my personal belongings that I want to take along with me are in the duffel bag I packed a few days ago, so the room seems cleaner; with only a bed, nightstand, dresser, and cleared-off desk to fill the space.

I grab the only bag that is lying on my neatly tucked-in bedspread. I feel like I'm about to cry, but I have no tears left to shed. The funeral had completely drained me and now, I finally feel the stinging from the shards of glass that I had fallen into while having my mini freak out in the bathroom. My legs are bandaged from my ankles to my upper thighs, almost like stockings. Luckily, there had been a paramedic at the funeral, so they checked me out quickly and helped pull the shards out of my skin. The pain was horrible, but I got through it, almost like I have to get through leaving the only home I've ever known.

Agent Callaway had taken both of our cell phones and gave us those cheap pay-as-you-go phones. He thinks changing our numbers will minimize contact with my stalker, but I know better. He'll know my new number by the end of the day.

Before I leave my room for the last time for God only knows how long, I draw my curtains closed, like I have done for the past week before I have gone to sleep. It's a precaution, like many other things I do nowadays.

"Melanie, we have to go," Mom calls from the other room, jarring my senses. Taking one last look at the room, I sigh and close the door.

When I saunter downstairs with my heavy duffel bag in my arms, Mom is waiting with Agent Callaway and Officer Jenkins. By now, I think they both have been officially assigned to my case considering how many time I've seen them at my house now.

"Are you ready?" She asks, glancing at my bag. I purse my lips together and nod, "Yeah."

Callaway gives me a small smile that I don't return. "Ms. Larkin, I just spoke to your mom, but I will tell you as well. You will drive yourselves to your new location, but I'll have cruisers around the car, just for precaution."

I nod again, thinking about what he had just said. "Is this normal for you to put families into witness protection like this?"

Agent Callaway gives me a tight-lipped smile, probably figuring out how much he should reveal. Finally, he says, "I wouldn't say it's incredibly usual, no."

I watch Jenkins step outside and walk over to the officers standing around a few cruisers. My heart beats harder in my chest as everything that is happening finally begins to sink in. We're leaving. We're taking refuge in a new town, with new identities and no ties to our old lives. As far as the world is concerned, Melanie Larkin doesn't exist anymore.

I pull out my new credit card that Callaway had given me, looking down at the name in disgust. Skyler Ann, my new name.

My new identity.

My new life.

"Melanie, it's time to go," Mom calls. I realize she is no longer standing beside me, but outside by the car. Callaway is also there, but standing a few feet away, watching. Pursing my lips together, I tuck the credit card back into my pocket and step outside, locking the door behind me.