CHAPTER THIRD

At 6:30 p.m. my father returned, said hi to me and immediately went to hole up in his study. 

He wasn't my father, or at least he wasn't anymore, he had changed. He had become a computer of those who do whatever you tell them, as the only rule that in charge must be any individual with a higher income than his. 

A slave to society, like my mother, the difference was that he disgusted me more. Although my mother was no better I felt pity for her, those had gotten into her brain, her mind, gorged with prejudice and delusions of perfectionism, had totally melted, but he, he had been blinded by money like a fool. The false promises made to him by the ministry workers had totally enchanted him and sent him into a state of euphoria, convincing him that sitting every day transcribing documents would one day lead him to success and put him in the governor's good graces. 

The reality, however, was that Olsen did not even know of his existence, and he was merely yet another worker bee added to the system.

<<But no, that's not what I'm saying; I mean in my opinion if we decided once and for all to do something organized, something thought out in every detail, we would be able to get it; and .... Kin .... Kin? Are you listening to me for Christ's sake?>>

<<Look I don't have to stare into your eyes while you talk to me; I was just trying to, ehm ... visualize the plan better>>

God I was distracted.

<<Yeah, visualizing, my ass. Now listen to me, really.

Imagine.

At that hour only a few operators and those of the school personnel guard the school, right?>>

Acto, sitting on the lace of my bed was trying to explain his project to me for the umpteenth time. In the process he was trying to uncork a beer with a fork, to no avail.

<<Right>> I said, observing him juggling with the cutlery.

The silver rings he wore on his fingers shone in the sun, creating plays of light with the reflections emanated from the golden fork. 

<<It's at that point that we have to put it all into action, we have to be as precise as fucking bank robbers, like the ones in the comic books...of course I mean the ones published before the regime ... We both know that if we get caught at the initial stage they checkmate and we're screwed.>>

Acto had a tattoo, he considered it his little distinguishing mark, I think, somehow, he got it to be different from his father. 

He resembled him, even too much for his taste. He never told me about it, but when he mirrored himself, and saw that man's figure reflected in him, a lump rose in his throat, a stabbing pain made its way through his chest and then pierced straight through his heart, he slid himself down the wall tiles, crouching beside the sink, tears streaked his face.

He didn't like himself the way he was, that's why he dressed so extravagantly, out of the ordinary, to be noticed in some other way than his appearance. 

God he was beautiful. 

He had never told me about it, but I know he had a troubled past; his mother died as soon as she gave birth to him. His father never forgave him for that. 

He had the tattoo engraved on the palm of his left hand, a big red star, I never knew what it meant, but I liked it, it suited his character.

PHASE ONE:

2:30 pm.

Lunch break.

Teaching staff and janitors go and hole up in their cars, air conditioning blasting, sandwich in hand.

God, can you imagine? They have one free hour and they go and hole up in their cheap cans. Acto and I are not taking classes that day; as soon as the scheduled time is up we head to the porter's lodge.

 <<Hello ma'am, Professor Cloes told us to stop after class and go to his office. He specifically told us to consult you to tell us his floor and classroom number of the day.>>

Mindy Dobrowolski, 56-year-old, if one were to assign her a historical period that of Fascism would fit her like a glove, body rigid, the skin of her face pulled back by her tight hairstyle. 

Her only passions: American gum, Mr. Cloes.

<<Did he send you to me?>>

We nod.

A flush on her cheeks.

<<Well, then, room 54, fourth floor, and let me know if the professor needs anything else>>

We then head to the fourth floor, take the second turn to the right and then immediately the left corridor; in front of us only one door, the Great Hall. Not the main one, but the smaller one, it is in a fairly isolated spot. Inside we know that there is a large wooden door bookcase, and that is where we will stay until the beginning of phase two.

<<And then ... Bam! 7:30 p.m. goes off. The school has emptied completely, no sane motherfucker wants to get caught there after curfew; and that's where .... phase two begins. >>

Acto continued his telling.

<<At that point we come out of the woodwork, like in those fucking video games, and then .... Ooh then the party starts. Figure it right in your fucking head. The operators sleeping soundly, us barricading everything, them resting blissfully. 

We'll be a fucking army.>>

<<Listen can I ask you how the hell...>>

<<Hey, stop it, just let me finish...>>