Chapter Eleven

At eleven fifty-five Emerson landed hard on the pavement of Diagon Alley

At eleven fifty-five Emerson landed hard on the pavement of Diagon Alley. It was not the first time that she had done side-along apparition, but she could never seem to get used to the feeling of her stomach rising into her throat and her muscles freezing.

"Meet me at four at Flourish and Blott's, al right?" As soon as Emerson turned back, Mrs Weasley disappeared.

Emerson made her way down Diagon Alley towards the ice cream parlour, taking peaks inside small shops and greeting the people who said hello to her. The air was perfect for the end of August. It was warm but the wind made it bearable. When Emerson arrived at Florean Fortescue's she picked a table outside to wait for Oliver. But after ten minutes, and there was no sign of Oliver, she began to get irritated.

The whole situation was making Emerson quite anxious. Oliver had acted differently around her after last Christmas, after he gave her that incredible snow globe. He went out of his way to talk to her, ask her how she was doing, and even went as far to remark how great she looked. Yes, Oliver was a very nice lad, but she couldn't figure out what was making him act so different.

After fifteen minutes, Emerson stood up to leave. As she turned around, she saw Oliver running towards her, panting and out of breath. Emerson smiled, but was taken off guard when he reached in for a hug. "I'm so sorry I'm late," he said as he pulled back. "I was working on something and I lost track of time."

"It's alright," Emerson told him. "I was worried you stood me up."

Oliver shook his head quickly. "I would never do that."

Emerson blushed, but looked away quickly toward the parlour. "Shall we get ice cream?"

"Absolutely," Oliver said, and opened the door to the shop. "It will be my treat."

Emerson shook her head and batted the satchel resting on her hip. "Oh no, that's alright, I brought money."

"But I was the one who kept you waiting," Oliver reasoned. "Please, let me."

Emerson sighed, but nodded. "If you insist."

They walked inside and each got a bowl of ice cream, mint chocolate for Emerson and cherry chip for Oliver, before they took their seats back outside. For a few moments it was silent, until Emerson broke the silence.

"So," Emerson placed her bowl down on the table and leaned forward on her elbows. "Why is it that you invited me here?"

Oliver took a large swallow of his ice cream, before placing it down. "I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Alright..." Emerson hesitated, unsure of where this conversation could lead to.

"I was wondering–" Oliver began to flush and fidget with his hands, "--and you can decline if you really don't want to..." he started stirring his ice cream and chewed on his lip. "Do you wanna uh, would you like to be..."