Chapter 14: Teamwork

Leo glared at the Mighty Mutanimals, who had just saved them from a Kraang ambush. Slash looked away guiltily.

After he cleared his mind of anger, Leo realized just how stupid he had been. What he had said to Cora... he didn't mean it. What she had told him hurt, but he shouldn't have been rude.

It was a mistake and now she was who knows where in a city invaded by aliens.

It only made Leo's frustration rise to know that Slash, who had once almost killed them all, was back, trying to be some hero.

"Perhaps you should come to meet our benefactor." Leatherhead suggested. "Then you should surely change your mind, Leonardo."

"Besides," Mikey added, "everyone deserves a second chance."

Leo sighed and glared. "Fine. But if this is a trap... Your shell is mine, Slash."

Slash nodded and the turtles followed him and the others to a warehouse not far from the docks. Leo stepped inside right after the Mutanimals and suddenly they all ran off into the shadows.

Everyoe pulled out their weapons, bracing for impact as someone moved in the darkness.

A light switched on and illuminated a desk and a man in a chair. He whirled around and flashed them a grim smile.

"Greetings, ninja turtles."

"Kurtzman!?" Leo exclaimed.

"Good to see you boys, it's been a loooong time." The man grinned.

Leo looked to the side as the Mutanimals walked forward and all the lights turned on. A smaller figure in their presence caught his eye.

"Cora!?" Leo exclaimed. "You knew about these guys?! And you didn't tell us!?"

"Contrary to your beliefs, Leo, I don't know everything going on in a city thats been besieged for months." Cora told him bitterly.

"We found your friend here at one of the shelters under attack." Kurtzman said. "Turns out, she's great at blowing up Kraang."

Raph looked back at Kurtzman. "We thought you got mutated like the rest of New York."

Cora turned her focus to the investigative reporter and Leo reluctantly followed her gaze.

"Nope. I made it through." Kurtzman leaned against his desk. "I tried to find you four, but you were gone. Fortunately, I tracked down these noble warriors to help keep up the fight against the Kraang."

"Wouldn't exactly call them all noble warriors." Leo muttered.

Slash growled.

"He was affected by mutagen." Cora pointed out. "You can't blame him for anything he did."

"You're defending him!?" Leo exclaimed.

"Someone has to." Cora glared. "You won't."

Leo looked at her in hurt sharply.

"Nobody in the outside world really knows what's going on." Kurtzman cut in. "The military, the media, they're no help. They're all controlled by the Kraang, but now that the turtles are back, we can stop the invasion, together."

"What!?" Slash demanded.

"No way!" Leo declared.

"I'm not teaming up with him!" Slash pointed his finger at Leo angrily.

"That's enough." Kurtzman put his foot down. "We can't afford to waste anymore time."

The old man pulled up a screen and projected it onto a wall. "The Kraang are building a mutagen missile and it's almost complete."