Chapter 1

After it was raining all day, the gray asphalt got wet, and little pools of water showed up in some places. I had to hide in the dark basement that was my home and placed in a large building as my hair would have gotten very wet. I would have spent a lot of time washing and cleaning it up. I just learned how to do it. My mother had been licking me before. She always took care of me, did not leave me even for a second, and did teach me everything I should have known when I was a little kitten. When I just opened my eyes and saw this big world that was full of so many interesting things. When I learned how to stand on my four paws and began to examine every single corner little by little. But now I am learning to live on my own, look for food, and lick whenever I need it.

When the weather gets better, I get out of my hideaway to start to examine the world again and discover something new. That's really interesting! I love sitting or lying on the asphalt or the soft grass and watching what's happening around me. I like the way the wind nicely blows my hair up. I like watching people going somewhere, talking to someone, and doing something. They are so different! I do not have time to memorize all of them! There are those, who I remember very well and often see in the city. But do not pay attention to me. However, there are those, who actually scream at me and tell me to get out of their way. That's why I get scared. I put my tail between my paws, press my ears to my head and run as far as possible. I feel I should not expect anything good from them. There is nobody that would be kind and seem to be good.

Moreover, there are no other cats near me that could become friends of mine and talk to me about something in the cat language. All my brothers and sisters ran on different sides a long time ago, and I am not sure if I can find them. There could be only dogs in the city, but they do not have any good feelings for me. Seeing I am alone, weak, and unprotected, they bark at me loudly. They want to run after me when I save myself by running and hiding where I am living now. This is the only way to save me. That's why I have to be very careful and do my best for my curiosity not to lead to something bad.

But before lying and having some rest in the fresh air, I need to eat a little. I feel my stomach is grumbling. But unfortunately, I have nothing to eat. Everything good people gave me is already gone, and nobody brought me anything today. So, I am very hungry and decide to walk in the city first with the hope that someone would love to feed me with fresh milk that I madly love. I walk on the wet asphalt with my paws with a feeling of a slight coldness and look at every single human with pity in my eyes with the hope that they would be the ones to feed me. But alas, nobody pays attention to me. Even trying to get it by meowing does not lead to any result. Everyone is too busy with something. I don't ask anything special! I just need a bit of cottage cheese or delicious sour cream. For a human, it would not be hard to do this, and I would get much pleasure.

At some moment, I walk by various shops. I guess they are selling something tasty. M-m-m... I would definitely have an opportunity to eat enough and lie on the grass before it's getting too dark. But I am afraid to go there because one bad man grabbed me by the collar and kicked me out one day. He loudly told me not to come here and not to beg for just some food. No matter how pitifully I meowed... No matter how pitifully I looked at him, he did not feed me on that day. Yes, a little later, I met an old lady with a kind heart that bought me a little packet of food for cats with an incredible smell and fed me enough. But since that moment, I do not check any stores because I might run into that bad man or a bad woman again.

Instead of that, I just come to a small shop, sit down in front of it and, pressing my dirty puffy tail to myself, just feel very sad while watching everybody, who leaves it with big packets in their hands that I sometimes sniff with my nose. I try to get someone's attention on me, letting them know that I am very hungry and want to eat something delicious. But alas, nobody understands me. Nobody reacts to my quiet "meow" full of pity. Only some little children pay attention to me. They want to come, to say something, and to pet me a little. But they go somewhere with adult people. At least, nobody treats me badly and screams at me so far.