Chapter 37

Words slapped against Astrid's cheeks like fists.

Davina forced herself to fit the prophecy.

Even murdered her own meuredre.

That's when it all went wrong.

Looking back, Astrid should have realized some of what Serah had claimed as truth was actually true when Matthias failed to show up at dawn to escort her to the second task. As Captain of the Guard, her mother would have expected him to capture at least one of the fae intruders. But he hadn't. Which needled a nasty thought into Astrid's head: Would Davina get so angry that she would actually kill Matthias?

She had killed her own mother, after all.

Allegedly, she hissed at her brain, but it didn't stop the what-ifs from ripping through her brain.

Instead of Matthias, Savon, one of her own Icicles, greeted Astrid with a smile that seemed too-forced and failed to calm Astrid's spiraling worries.

"Did you sleep?" Savon asked.

"Not a wink." Astrid tucked the end of her braid into a knot on top of her head. She turned from the mirror to appraise the tense sentinel and sighed. "You may as well tell me. Is Matthias dead?"

"What? No! Whatever made you think that?"

Oh, nothing. Just a rambling Scribe whose mangled tongue I helped heal. Astrid shook her head. "What is it, then? You are especially twitchy this morning."

She was sure Savon grimaced. "It's rather exciting, is all. I'm meant to take you to the precipice."

"The precipice?" Astrid frowned. She clenched the cuff around her arm. "The second task is taking place on my mother's rock face?"

Astrid went to her window, pulling the heavy curtain aside, and looked out. From her room, she could see out into Halorium. Icicles dripped from the rooftops of Halorian Square's portico, and beyond the fortress walls, the more meager village homes dotted the snow covered landscapes, smoke puffing from their chimneys. Hoards of spectators lined the guard posts, trying to make their way into the fortress in hopes of viewing the task. Astrid scoffed at them. If they really had wanted to see something worthy, they should have forced their way into Treason's Tower last night to hear the Scribe's tale.

Surprisingly, the sun shone brightly overhead. It caused the layer of snow that had accumulated overnight to sparkle. She supposed the fact that the second task was meant to take place on her mother's treasured precipice was rather poetic. Especially considering it was the same place this whole nonsense started when Davina had made her royal proclamation about magic reawakening. She remembered standing on the balcony, being revealed as her mother's heir, and the sight of the dizzying, steep drop off the side of Mount Halum.

If this was to be a challenge of her control over Air, she would most likely splatter to her death.

Would my mother even care?

Astrid curled her shaking fingers into fists, clasping them tightly beneath her heavy cloak.

"We should get going, Your Highness."

She allowed Savon to lead the way through the fortress. "So, where is Matthias?"

Savon offered her a meager shrug. "Rumors say Captain Soiree had a moonlight stroll with that girl last night."

"Girl?"

"Yes. The one who moves with the grace of an elvish niche."

Astrid coughed, choking on the damp air. "You mean that husky lapdog of a girl, Abel?"

Quill of ThievesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara