TWENTY THREE

Word Count: 1480

~Aspen

"This is a terrible idea," I mutter.

I don't even know where we are. This morning, Kastriv came to me with an offer that I couldn't exactly refuse. And now, I'm standing in an unknown Territory, walking through a park toward a Noble who tried to kill me.

"He needs to be spoken to," Kastriv reminds me. Even if he is right, I'm not sure how I feel about having to see Ellard's face again.

"Why?"

Kastriv looks down at me, a cold rage behind his eyes. "Because he may continue to pursue you otherwise."

I shudder. There are too many people in my life who I am afraid of, who I am running from. At some point I'm going to have to stand up to them, and I suppose now is the time to start, even if it's not going to be easy.

"If he kills me now, it's your fault," I tell him bluntly, staring out over the green pond before me.

Kastriv threads his fingers through mine. "He won't kill you. Not with me around."

"Comforting," I mumble.

We stop, facing the pond. To my left, I see a figure tentatively emerge from amidst the trees. My entire body stiffens, sensing who it is before I can truly make them out.

Kastriv turns, keeping me close next to him as he regards Ellard.

"Hello brother. I would say it's good to see you, but I assume you're going to be lecturing me," Ellard exclaims.

When he looks at me, I can't help but look away.

How could I have once thought about loving him, having dreamed about what it would be like to be mated to someone like him. I suppose my dream came true, in a backwards, unexpected sort of way.

"What a great assumption," Kastriv mutters.

He turns, motioning to me. "Maybe we should start this with an apology, to Aspen."

"Don't bother," I tell him. It's not going to mean anything to me.

Ellard's expression crumbles. "I am sorry, Aspen. It's not like I want you dead, but you must understand-"

"Your vision said my existence is putting this world exist. Do you have any other evidence that this is the case?" I cut in.

I believe that he is truthful, that he didn't want to hurt me, but I don't have time to care about that. If I'm the key to the world ending, that I want to know how, and why.

"Not yet. I'm working on it," he explains, rubbing the back of his neck.

"But you try to kill me first?" I growl. If I saw what he did, my first reaction wouldn't be to take somebodies life.

Ellard winces. "It seemed like the right thing to do, at the time."

"You're lucky I didn't kill you for trying it," Kastriv snaps, taking a step toward his brother, who retreats in response. I sigh. The last thing we need is for two Noble's to turn against each other.

I push my mate back. "It's fine Kastriv, I can deal with this."

Kastriv frowns. He knows he pushed me too far the other night, with Keo. He knows I want to make these decisions for myself, even if it puts me in danger. Like this issue, I can handle it.

"What's going on?" Ellard asks, sensing something else happening between us.

"Nothing," Kastriv snaps. "Aspen already has a myriad of enemies. She doesn't need you chasing around after her because you had one vision."