Chapter 13-1

Chapter Thirteen

You know when people say things are easier said than done? They are telling the truth. Many things in life are easier said than done. Walking down a runway, for example, is much easier said than done. People just think “Oh, how hard can it be? It’s just like normal walking.” Well those people have obviously not tried to strut their stuff on a raised platform in front of hundreds of people while wearing 5 inch heels.

“Come on Jessica, this is basic stuff,” Jake urged as I clumsily stumbled again.

This, my friend, is an obvious example of that same ignorance that I was just talking about.

I regained my balance and glared at him. “If you think it’s so easy, let’s see you do it.”

Jake ducked his head. “Let’s just focus on you today.”

“Exactly. It’s not that easy,” I said in victory.

“Don’t be such a…” Jake started.

I raised my eyebrow and eyed him daringly. “Such a what?”

“Nothing,” he said quickly. “Carry on.”

Reluctantly, I trudged back to the beginning of the pretend runway that Jake had set up for me and started walking again. Halfway through, Jake rose up a hand.

“No, stop!” he shouted.

I let out an exasperated sigh. “What now?”

“I’m just not feeling it.”

“Feeling what? This is modeling, not acting!”

“When the other models were walking down the runway, I could feel their power almost,” he explained. “It was like they were telling the world ‘This is my outfit and I own it’, kinda like that, you know?”

I tried my best not to look at him like he was crazy. “Did anyone else feel those vibes? Cause maybe you’re just a little…you know, cuckoo in the head.”

Jake rolled his eyes and continued, “You gotta tell people that you know what you’re doing. You wouldn’t want to be walking on that runway acting like a totally shy school now, would you? Not after the press has made such a big deal about you already.”

They didn’t make that much of a deal. It was mainly short interviews, puff pieces really, for their magazine.

“Plus, you don’t want those models to think you’re incompetent, do you?” Jake added, almost as if he read my mind.

Scrunching up my face, I contemplated for a moment. As of right now, I don’t think the models can think any less of me – I was already at rock bottom to them. Then again, it would be nice to get back at them.

“Okay fine,” I agreed and went back to the beginning of the run way.

Okay, I can do this, I told myself confidently. Left strut, right strut, left strut, right

“Again,” Jake said.

“No powerful vibes?” I said in disappointment.

Jake shook his head.

As I prepared myself for another attempt, I glanced at the clock. It was almost 8 already.

“This is going to be a long night,” I mumbled and began to walk again.

The night seemed to drag on forever. All that ever came out of Jake’s mouth was “Again” and “Again” and “Again” and…you get the point. My feet were aching badly and I was beginning to grow very tired. Jake had bought some coffee a few hours ago, but the caffeine was already wearing off. It just seemed like no matter how many times I do it, I never get it right. I don’t know why. Maybe because I’m just a rather lazy person, or the fact that I’m not entirely comfortable prancing around like ridiculously high heels. Let’s just assume that at the moment, I am, as Jake had kindly (note the sarcasm) put it earlier, completely and utterly incompetent at any of this modelling business. Now that I think about it, I can’t even fathom what was running through Jake’s head when he chose me to be the replacement model or when Anthony picked me to be the poster model.