Chapter 39: Couldn't Be Love

"If you fear that I will disclose your identity, then you're mistaken," Kaage said. "My only concern is the immediate threat your presence brings."

Minerva sank into her chair. She couldn't foresee where this conversation would go, didn't understand Kaage and Kodak well enough to predict how they would react to each other. It was like taking two of Kaage's vials and mixing the unknown substances together, dreading that they'd explode in her face.

"I am here with the Hydro embassy to attend the Heir's Trial and Tournament," Kodak said, raking his hand through his hair.

Kaage sighed. He tapped the untouched box in front of Minerva. "Second edition. I'm thinking the first worked well?"

"Very well." Minerva popped the lid to reveal two orbs sunk into the velvet interior. "These are smaller?"

"I compacted the design. They last the same amount of time."

Minerva couldn't help but admire Kaage's subtle control over the room. Where Kovine utilized intimidation and posturing to not let her enemies have time to breathe, Kaage did the opposite. He gave too much air, played on nerves with so ghostly a touch that you wondered whether you'd only imagined it.

"How did you know who I am?" Kodak asked. With the dim lamps in the room, shadows shrouded most of his face.

Kaage fiddled with his earring. "I made an educated guess. You are Hydro, in spite of your dark hair. You know little of the city or you would have possessed a healthier respect for the Kin. Only a desperate errand could have taken you into their lair. Now tell me, is the goal of your mission to prevent the war or to prepare for it?"

Not a war. The war. Minerva shut her eyes, but visions of fire and blood played behind her closed eyelids. She didn't understand why those running the empire thirsted after conquest—didn't want to understand. War bled you dry and left you for dead. What could they hope to gain?

In the conflict with the Terrons, the empire had fought to protect their claim on the kishuki stone mines. Launching an invasion of the North unprovoked would place her people in the role of the aggressor rather than the defender. Minerva could not condone such an action with a clear conscience.

She couldn't fault Kodak when he answered, "Both. We do not desire war, but if it should come, we mean to be ready."

"It is madness," Minerva murmured.

Kaage nodded. "Madness it may be, but there is a method to it." He held out his hands to Kodak in the Pyro gesture of goodwill. "I thank you for your honesty, Your Highness and I wish you success with your undertakings."

"You don't wish to turn me in?" Kodak asked, raising an eyebrow. "Or ... Kozakura for treason?"

Kaage smiled wryly and winked at Minerva. "You hear that? He expected me to turn you in."

"As if I wouldn't have taken you down with me." Minerva made an effort to smile back, but it slid from her face. She didn't fear a conflict between Kaage and Kodak now, but the conversation had lodged the much larger problem of hostility brewing in her mind—the tension between the Flamelands and Icelands ready to snap like a worn bowstring. Pushing her chair back, she stood to stretch her arms and back before cracking her neck.

"The guilds have no especial love or loyalty for those in power over the empire," Kaage explained to Kodak. "In my case at least, I did not join for coin or revenge. I wanted to live life on my own terms and can sympathize with your ambition to remain free. For that reason, I have no interest in either helping or hindering you, so long as you do not interfere with me and mine."

"I see," Kodak answered, relaxing. "I hope to never meet you on a battlefield then. Peace is something we can agree on."

Kaage bowed his head. "Though peace will be hard to find in the coming days."