Twenty Five

When her hand came in contact with the base of Nyx's wing, the male's reaction was almost instantaneous.

Mala could hear him make a noise in the back of his throat and the hand on her back had fisted. His wings faltered for a second and they tipped downward. She immediately took her hand away from his bothered wings.

"I wasn't entirely truthful with you," Nyx murmured deeply, taking long breaths to calm himself.

Mala laid her head on his shoulder, listening to his fluttering heartbeat as he continued to speak.

"Illyrian wings are touched when someone is willing to be exposed. When someone is able to be so intimate with another that they choose to be vulnerable around them," he lets out a breath, "I didn't think I'd be so affected by you."

His heartbeat was beating at an unsteady rate, adrenaline coursing through his veins.

"I'm sorry for putting pressure on you. I hope you can forgive me for causing you harm," Mala rushed out, interrupting the elucidation of his reaction.

Nyx's breaths stopped, his heart still pounding in his chest after a skip. Seconds of silence passed between them. His wings were still keeping them up in the sky so it must not be something detrimental to keep him from responding. Mala raised her head higher from his shoulder to face him face-to-face. He was still watching her intently, breaths beginning to become less shallow.

"Mala... he whispered, almost as if he was bewildered by her apology.

Mala knit her eyebrows together, willing him to keep speaking. The hand on his back relaxed, unfurling from it's fist.

"Why would you think you caused me harm?" he asked, his other hand finding her chin and making sure her full attention was focused on him.

"Because your reaction wasn't what I expected from someone who's unbothered. I picked out the signs and connected them to me causing you a form of distress," she rambled, anxiety rushing through her.

The only reason she wasn't falling through the sky right then was because Nyx was holding her right then. She searched his eyes after she justified her examination of him. He seemed conflicted, eyes roaming across his face.

Nyx's head fell back, and he let out an unworried sigh, contrasting his earlier behavior. His hand had moved from her chin to the back of her neck, his thumb moving in small circles. He lifted his back up, a grin enhancing his devilish features.

"Darling, what you did to me caused me something far from distress," he endearingly grinned at Mala while she gaped.

"Then what—" she stopped, remember what he had said earlier.

Her head quickly dropped to his chest again, face flushed with embarrassment and something else. Nyx openly laughed, ashamned in no ways.

"Mala, dearest, I didn't take you for a prude," Nyx chuckled.

"You just bring out the worst in me it seems," Mala responded, her voice muffled in Nyx's Illyrian leather clothes.

Nyx cackled, the hand previously on her neck then playing with her blond white hair. He sighed after howling like a wild male after a full minute before addressing Mala again.

"It's quite late now, shall we head back?"

All he got was a sluggish nod from Mala, having fallen slightly asleep while atop his broad body. His two hands were still continuing to massage her back and disarrange her hair. Mala snuggled closer to him, his warmth intoxicating. The sound of his beating wings lulling her to sleep.

~tev <3