2.14

With this thought, Lisa Xi's gaze rose to look at Hong Sheng, whose head was down.

Hong Sheng took back the notebook. He wrote another report for her. This time, detailing his encounter with Ji Ling, and the zombie man who looked exactly like a human.

The two of them considered this information silently.

They both thought, but didn't say the dark reality in their minds.

Ji Ling.

Lisa Xi said, "Lu Hao went to investigate that lab with her."

Hong Sheng shook his head. Lu Hao wouldn't find anything even remotely related to the truth. Even if Hong Sheng had left any evidence behind, he was sure by the time Lu Hao got there, everything would have been emptied out. That person was very annoying when it came to fooling Lu Hao.

"What is she after? Does she really want to wipe out humanity?" Lisa Xi cursed. "This girl really thinks she has everyone eating out of the palm of her hand. The SG, the military, the mafia, even the zombies... fuck! Everything ties back to her!"

All of the powerful forces in the world were all netted in a web, and Ji Ling stood in the center. She was the spy who was the SG's main point of contact with other powers, and in the SG, she had the unshakable trust of many survivors whom she had personally saved.

The two people in the lab solemnly realized that the people in the SG, and maybe even Lu Hao himself, might not believe them if they said—

That this perfect, lovely girl really didn't give a damn about them.

That in this already horrifying, wretched world, something even more dark and sinister was brewing behind her.

"You trust me with this."

In the end, Lisa Xi felt she had to say something.

"Why did you come to me?"

Hong Sheng was stubbornly looking down, refusing to communicate or make eye contact. But in the end, the answer was obvious. Lisa Xi was the researcher dedicated to making the vaccine for the zombie virus. If she wasn't standing against the zombies, who would be?

Lisa Xi found a place to sit down, tired and weary. After all these years of fighting, only to find out that it was only by Ji Ling's whim that they were all still alive.

After all, with her ability to avoid being sensed, she could easily bring down the entire base. She could assassinate the major leaders and destroy all of humanity any time she wished.

As for why she didn't?

Maybe she wanted humanity to survive, but first she needed to let them have hope, then bring them to their knees.

Truly a scheming bitch.

Lisa Xi laughed coldly. She took off her glasses and wiped her eyes.

When she calmed down, she looked at Hong Sheng with a cold, determined face. "From now on, you're my assistant. You'll keep watch. I can't accept lying down to accept defeat. Either we fight to the end, or we die having done all we could."

And then, as if trying to tighten the lure around Hong Sheng, Lisa Xi pulled the corner of her mouth in a humorless smirk.

"After all, we'll need to work together to convince Lu Hao."

Meanwhile.

On Lu Hao's side, he sat at the camp in the wilds. Over the past weeks, he had listened to the radio messages his people had sent from all over the region.