Chapter Two

“Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground-Theodore Roosevelt”

Rosalyn's POV ♡

"Kennedy's enterprise has been undergoing bankruptcy for a month. We don't have investors as we normally do because of the debt. Our business is going down the drain and If we don't act fast...it will be gone," he sighed, looking down while mom rubbed his shoulders gently.

"Rosalyn, you know how long it took me to start up this business and the thought of losing it...is unbearable." His voice turned low and quiet yet, I could hear audibly.

"I can give you some money," I suggested. I didn't know what was going on but I wanted to help dad.

"No Rosalyn, money can't do it. There has to be a merge," dad explained but I still didn't understand.

"But money should be able to solve it. I don't understand," I said, unable to comprehend what he had just said.

"You are getting married," dad announced.

My heart started beating hard against my ribs and I couldn't control the tears that were soaking my eyelashes, making my vision blurry.

"I don't understand...w-what do you mean?" I choked on my words, finding it difficult to speak. Haley had the same look of shock as I did.

The room was silent like no one heard me which infuriated me more.

"Didn't you all hear me?" I exclaimed, not caring it was my parents I was talking to.

I was irritated no one was answering me, even my mother couldn't explain what the hell was going on.

"Rosalyn I need you to calm down and listen to your father," My mother said but I didn't want to listen to anything my father had to say anymore.

He had made it clear what he wanted, for me to get married into some rich family. I just needed to get out of here.

"Aspen's enterprise is the biggest stock exchange company in the US. They are willing to help Kennedy's enterprise by merging businesses. Rosalyn...you have to get married to their son for that merge to happen," my dad explained but I didn't give attention to except the last sentence.

The one thing I was running away from my entire life had eventually hit me hard in the face like a rock.

An arranged married.

"Dad, do you realize what you just said?" I asked softly as tears seeped out of my eyes. The bitterness in my throat made my eyes water and difficult to speak.

"You want to ruin me! How could you people I call my parents want to sell me off for your selfish desires?" I yelled with tears pouring out of my eyes like heavy rainfall.

"We're not selling you off, we're only helping you," my father said.

"How are you helping me? You're destroying my life." I raked my fingers through my blonde hair and stood up, finding it difficult to sit with all these happening.

"If Kennedy's enterprise goes...everything goes. Your business, your house, your car, this house, our cars, and every damn thing. Do you want to lose everything, Rosalyn?" My father stood up, putting a hand on my shoulder but I brushed it off.

"How does my business and properties concern this?" I asked, uncertainty scribbled all over my face.

"If you don't know, everything is in my name and if I don't merge businesses with Aspen by the end of the week, it's all gone." Tears gushed out of my eyes and that's when I knew I had no choice.