Part 24: Accountable

Storm held his breath while Heather took a spot next to the newswoman. She looked calm, but Storm saw sweat on her forehead.

The newswoman first explained the location and the protest, talking into the camera. Then, she turned to Heather. "Heather, you've organized this protest at your school. Can you explain what this is about?"

Raising her chin, she nodded. "This is about how our school treats lesbian, gay, bi, transgender, and other people who are not straight and cisgender. We had a simple goal--we just wanted to start a school group for LGBTQ+ students. And other students and our principle would not allow it. He said that we were a sex club and implied that LGBTQ people are 'inappropriate' at school. When we tried to show the world and our community how we were being treated, Principle Visser retaliated by expelling one of our group members. And no one in the school--the school board, parents, teachers--has done anything about it. Except for the people here, now, supporting us.

"The school has made it clear. Our school thinks that teaching anything about gay people, that teaching that gay people exist, that any of us exist—they think that is unacceptable. That our existence is inappropriate. And we need them to know how that makes LGBTQ+ people feel, how that makes students feel—that we aren't welcome, that we aren't okay. They need to know that, by doing things like this, they are teaching hate."

Ari clutched Storms arm. "That was amazing. That was perfect," they whispered.

"She's doing so good," Storm whispered back.

"And what are you hoping to accomplish here?" the newswoman asked.

"We want to show..." Heather hesitated, biting her lip. Storm squeezed Ari back, holding his breath. "We want to show, first of all, that we exist—LGBTQ people are in this school, in this community, in this state, everywhere. And there is nothing wrong with us. And we want to hold our school accountable. Someone needs to call this what it is—it's hate. When people get away with hate, when they call it something else, it gets worse. And," with a small smile, Heather shook her head "we just want our group and our friend back in school. I don't think that's too much to ask. I don't know why we have to do something like this to be treated like, like people. We shouldn't have to."

From the corner of his eye, Storm saw Visser almost stepping into the frame. Before he could think, Storm pulled away from Ari and stepped in front of Visser.

He looked the principle hard in the eyes. "She's allowed to speak."

"This is completely out-of-proportion here." Visser's eyebrows were a hard, dark line.

"Kind of like expelling somebody for having the audacity to start a stupid student group?'" Storm shot back.

"That is a gross misrepresentation. And I am not arguing with a teenager." He tried to step around Storm.

"Why don't you explain it to me, then?" Ari stepped up next to Storm. "Because, what it looks like, is you think that gay and transgender people are disgusting, you don't want them in your school, and you don't want LGBTQ kids to feel safe and welcome at your school." Ari waited, gazing down at Visser.

Visser looked Ari up and down. Storm saw the thoughts behind his eyes, and he was sure Ari did too. "This is not a conversation we're having here. This is not the time or the place." Visser tried again to step aside. But Ari blocked him.

"I, we, are holding you accountable," Ari said slowly. "You need to understand that your—actions—matter."

Visser looked up at Ari, his face like stone. "I need you to understand that I am trying to run a school. That means pleasing people with different viewpoints. Pleasing everyone is impossible. I am doing my job the best way I can."