2: Halime

An empire cannot be ruled by anger and pride; if you must, take a few steps back in order to see the faces of your real enemies. A sultan who can’t bear defeat will never be successful.

 A sultan who can’t bear defeat will never be successful

Manisa, 26th January 1513

"Halime Hatun, prepare yourself, tonight you will go to havlet to prince Suleiman," Sumbul said to me while I was on one of my education classes in harem and everyone looked at me with a surprise. For last two months Suleiman haven't called for anyone because he wanted to be with his consort Safiye Hatun, who I didn't even see anytime, after she gave birth to his first two children.

"But how?" I asked as I didn't know what has happened that they have chose me because since I came here I had no will to even live and not even to be with a prince and involve myself into all the problems that royal life would give me.

"Ayse Hafsa Sultan ordered that, she saw you in harem and she liked you, you don't need to know more," he said and took me with himself where Daye Hatun and other maids waited for me and took me into the hammam with them.

All the maids in the harem looked at me in the weird way since they have found out about that and I knew this was something all of them wished for, but I for sure didn't wish something like this not even now because I knew I will bring their hate on me since they have been waiting here for several months to visit the prince and I came here and they have chosen me.

I was washing myself in hammam until the woman with blonde hair entered and they all bowed to her. I just kept washing my hair and not doing anything because I didn't know who this woman was.

"So you are going tonight to visit prince Suleiman?" She raised her eyebrows as she came in front of me and sat on the corner of the hammam. Two girls followed her and I still had no idea who she is.

"Yes," I said and continued to wash myself not caring for her but I could see her reaction changed very soon.

"How do you dare not to bow to me when I enter here? Do you know who I am?" She yelled on me and I could see Daye looked at me with a look which said you've made a mistake by not bowing to her.

"I don't," I quickly replied because she was so annoyed and angry and I knew my calmness will annoy her even more.

"I am Safiye, first and only consort of prince Suleiman and mother of prince Yahya and Fahriye Sultan, you will bow to me because you have to respect me," she yelled once again and Daye went closer to her hoping she would calm her down, but nothing helped.

I smiled with a smirk on my face and bowed to her but still laughing in her face which annoyed her so much.

"How you dare to act like this?" She started yelling at me and at that moment she raised her hand being ready to slap my face, but I was more quickly and grabbed her hand.