s e v e n t e e n

THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS DROWNING

k a n s a s

k a n s a s

"if you slap that paddle on the water and splash water all over me one more time, i'm gonna dump your cooler at the next stop." i deadpan at drew, who takes this as a challenge, raising the paddle into the air again and letting it smack the water, creating a loud thwack, followed by water splashing all over me. he and i were on paddle boards, everyone else had rented kayaks.

"i don't blame you for being pissed, this waters freezing." chase mentions. i rented the condo next to the white river. when my family used to go on this trip, we floated further north in missouri, but we liked the river in arkansas more, mainly because we could stay on it for as long as we wanted rather than have to be off at 5.

"there's a man-made waterfall up here, we have to walk back through the woods to get to it, though. you can go behind and walk through it, it uses water from the river." i mention, jolee raising her eyebrows.

"this water's like 40 degrees." she replies flatly, but drew and i are already paddling toward the bank where a trail leads back into the woods.

"are you taking us back here to murder us?" nolan asks, walking to the end of his kayak to pull it onto the back, attempting not to touch the water.

i've floated cold running rivers like this my whole life, as long as you swim early on in the trip, they're really not that bad. however, the only people who actually took my advice or already knew what do do were waylon, carter, jolee, chase, drew, and rudy. everyone else was trying their best to not get in the water.

"yes, nolan, that's been my master plan all along." i reply sarcastically. we break into the clearing, the waterfall in view now. it's concrete, and on one side you can see the opening to walk behind it.

"okay, who's coming with me?" i ask, starting to wade through the mid-thigh deep water to the other side of the bank, pulling my t-shirt off and tossing it onto the bank behind me.

"i will." chase shrugs when everyone else backs away from the bank.

"wimps- waylon, you've literally done this before." i push, but my brother quickly shakes his head.