Chapter 6 - Party in the USA

Eight o'clock chimes in heavy tolls from the grandfather clock in the living room. Even up in my room, I can hear each ringing of the hour. The brightness of the sky wanes outside my window, the sun sinking lower and lower. Cujo naps on my loveseat named Petunia, his beloved tennis ball clutched in his jaws as he dreams of chasing rabbits. Meanwhile, as I relax in bed, Harry Potter sneaks out of Gryffindor Tower using the Cloak of Invisibility for the first time.

"Ash, I'm heading out," Mom calls from the stairs. "There are leftovers in the fridge if you get hungry."

"Thanks, Mom," I call back. "Have a good night at work."

The front door opens and closes, and from outside my window I can hear Mom's SUV back out of the driveway. As soon as I'm sure she's gone, I pick up my phone from the bedside table. Though there are no new texts, I open my messaging app. My eyes linger on Peyton's name for a moment, a pang of worry and melancholy hitting me hard at the sight of the 3 DAYS AGO timestamp. I brush past it with a sigh and open my most recent conversation.

Timbo: hey its timbo

Me: hey it's Ash

Timbo: since ur new to town u wanna come to a party w us?

Me: what kind of party?

Timbo: bonfire

Me: yeah that sounds like fun

Timbo: kewl

Timbo: dont tell ur parents tho

Timbo: dont want adults to know

Me: why not?

Timbo: gonna be drinks there

Timbo: cops wld b bad

Me: makes sense

Me: my lips are sealed

Timbo: sweet

Timbo: we can pick u up if u want

Me: yeah that works for me, thanks

Timbo: np

Timbo: whats ur addy?

Me: 405 King

Timbo: 8:30 ok?

Me: yeah that will be just fine

Timbo: kewl

Timbo: cul8r

Digging into the dresser in my closet, I try to find good party attire. It's not an extensive process: khaki cargo shorts, gray tank top, plaid button-up on top. I even roll up the long sleeves to my elbows for added flair. I don't have many favorite outfits nowadays, but this is definitely one. Pair it with my red Hi-Top Converse sneakers and you've got a good chunk of the Ash Woodward Starter Pack all good to go. I add a silver analogue watch to my right wrist and the outfit is complete.

After a quick shower, I get dressed and head downstairs to check on Cujo's food and water bowls. Both seem adequately full, but I top them off just to be safe. Don't want the pupper getting hungry or thirsty while I'm gone. Hell, I don't even know what time the party is going to wrap up. Hopefully I'll be able to get home before Mom gets off work. Not too interested in having the "be careful who you're friends with" conversation.

Back in my room, Cujo is awake and sits next to my bed. His eyes focus on my phone sitting on the bedside table until I pass through the doorway. He looks at me, his brow arched.

"It made a noise," he tells me wordlessly.

"Did it wake you up, bud?" I ask with a humored grin. He offers a huff in response, though it is muffled by his tennis ball.