S2E5: Dig Dug

Mrs. Hodges passes around our scores on our project. She places mine and Steve's on my desk upside down. I flip it over, my eyes instantly landing on the A+ we got. I look at Steve, who sits at the other side of the room. He's still looking at his own sheet of paper she had handed him, which says the same thing as mine.

He lifts his head, turning to look back at me, his eyes wide in shock and lips slightly parted. His lips form a smile. Not a smirk, not a mean grin. A nice smile. And I can't help but smile, myself.

"Most of you did well," Mrs. Hodges says, circling back to the front of the classroom. "I hope you learned a thing or two about reactions, and also teamwork."

I did learn a thing or two. I learned that Steve doesn't suck at school as much as I thought he did. I learned that studying is easier on a full stomach. I learned that Hooked on a Feeling is a really catchy song and has been stuck in my head since yesterday.

But, the best part about today is that it's Friday and our project is over, so now Steve and I can finally go our separate ways. We'll never have to put up with each other again. It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, I'll admit that. But I certainly won't miss being forced to interact with him.

School lets out and mom comes to pick me up. She was in the area grocery shopping and decided she might as well pick me up. She pulls up in her station wagon and I cram my bike into the trunk.

"How was school?" She asks as I get in the passenger side.

"Fine. You'll be happy to know I got an A+ on my chemistry project."

"Good! I'm proud of you."

"Thanks. So..." I hesitate with my question. I've asked it before and always have gotten a flat, no. "When can I get a car? I mean, I'm obviously old en—"

"You can't get a car until you have a job," she interrupts. "Besides, you don't even have your license yet."

"Yeah, I know, but all I asked was when I could get a car."

"When you have a job and can pay for it. That's my answer."

"Then when can I get a job?"

She thinks for a moment. "I would say now, but I'd prefer you finish high school. Maybe you could get a little summer job after you graduate?" She suggests. "Like being a life guard, or walking dogs, or working at an ice cream parlor. You know, when I was your age I worked at a little diner."

"Yeah, you've mentioned that."

She watches the road ahead. A slight smile tugs at her lips. Evidently, she's recalling the fun days of her youth. Back when she was a teen in the 50's. I'm sure times were simpler then. No monsters from other dimensions, no little boys possibly being possessed. There were sock-hops and poodle skirts. Of course these days that's all out of style.

She parks the car in the driveway and cuts it off. "I'll need help bringing the groceries in," she says, opening her door. "And try to hurry, I don't want all the meat to go bad after it getting left out in the car too long."

"That was one time!" I yell, getting out and opening the trunk. I gather so many bags of groceries in my hands that my fingertips begin to turn blue. I don't care if it's way too heavy for me and I can't feel my fingers—the more I carry, the less trips I make, the faster I'm done. I take the bags in and she takes the food out and puts it in the cabinets and fridge. I head back outside to the car to bring in more.

"Y/n!" Dustin runs across the street to me, decked out in goalie armor and carrying a hockey stick.

"Dustin? What's up with the..." I motion my hand up and down, gesturing to his interesting choice of weekend attire.