10. Loquats (2)

Everyone froze as they stared at the serene and steady image of the Empress as she walked in and frowned slightly at the scene before her.

Gao guifei also sneered before standing up to acknowledge her simply as "Huanghuo niangniang".

Smiling slightly, she also also responded "Gao guifei"

Turning to look at the sight in the room once more she asked "bengong would like to know what exactly is going on here?"

"Yu guiren is sick, chenqie specially brought the imperial physician to diagnose her illness" Gao guifei responded nonchalantly without a trace of nervousness.

Smiling slightly, Rongyin turned to Liu taiyi and asked then what was your diagnosis.

Liu taiyi nervously turned to glance at Gao guifei to ask for permission. Seeing he's glance she frowned and instructed " Huanghuo niangniang is asking you a question, tell her the truth".

"Yes" Liu taiyi responded before turning to explain to the Empress "to respond to your highness, when I diagnosed her illness, I came to discover that her left pulse is like a deep bowstring and her right pulse is slippery but not as strong, there's also heat in her liver and mucus in her lungs and she's suffering from a cough"

Yi pin looked outraged and in disbelief while Rongyin kept smiling and continued to ask "oh then what were you forcing her to drink just now?"

"To answer to your highness, to relieve the heat in her liver I specially prescribed a dosage of throat demulcent and expectorant for heat"

"You're spouting nonsense" Yi pin objected in outrage, the rim of her eyes turning red "Yu guiren is clearly pregnant, how could you say she's having a cough?!".

"How dare you Yi pin?!" Gao guifei also objected angrily, glaring at Yi pin before saying slowly "what did you say last night at Yanxi hall, you said Yu guiren was having a cough, today you're saying that she's pregnant, unless you deliberately lied to bengong!"

Yu guiren quickly crawled forward to defend Yi pin "huanghuo niangniang, Yi pin and Chenqie discussed the long-term future because it's about a royal heir, we dared not confirm it. We were waiting for half a month before we called an imperial physician to confirm it and then report to your highness".

Yi pin wanted to step forward to say something but Rongyin took a firm grip on her arm signalling her to stay silent. Enraged but still reasonable she understood that the Empress probably had a plan and restrained herself and keep her mouth shut, coldly watching Gao guifei who glared back at her in return.

Smiling slightly, Rongyin started "oh so that's what happened, merely a small misunderstanding. Anyway it's reasonable to confirm if there is actually a pregnancy before reporting to the Emperor so as not to get the crime of deceiving the monarch, Yu guiren can be said to have behaved cautious and reasonably today"

Turning to Liu taiyi, she questioned "but you as an imperial physician, couldn't you detect that Yu guiren was pregnant?".

Trembling at the cold gaze of the Empress, he responded hastily "responded to your Majesty, it's still early in the morning, the pulse reading may not be accurate enough to determine if Yu guiren is pregnant or not, especially at such an early stage"

Raising a meticulously carved eyebrows questioningly, she responded "Alright then, bengong will believe in Liu taiyi's words for now" turning to glance behind her, she called out "Zhang taiyi"