Chapter 20 - A new year

A/N: We're making a little time jump here to move the story forward.

After Yibo successfully completed his first year as a student at the Keno Academy, even though many things did not go as he wanted and planned, he spent the vacations until the start of his second year at his dream university with his parents and now returned back to campus ready to start his second year.

As he entered the campus in the morning after his dad dropped him off at the university, Yibo smiled. He was just happy to be back. While he had enjoyed the vacations with his parents, it had also been exhausting and tiring, with his mother practicing her faith even more intensely now that she had so closely escaped being killed.

There were days when things were so bad for Yibo that he would have liked to pack his things and run away. There were several reasons for this. For one, his mom suddenly got the idea that she had to find his dad one more wife. This led to a big fight between his parents. But in the end, his dad got his way and his mom accepted his dad's wish not to have any more wives.

Another reason why Yibo would have liked to run away was that one of his other mothers announced that she was pregnant again. In just 6 months, Yibo will have another sibling. It made him angry because his dad promised him that he wouldn't father any more children and that he would focus on the kids that are already here and that he barely has time for anyway.

What Yibo found worst, however, was that his mom, driven by her faith, tried to persuade him and his brother to finally find a wife. She even had several, in her opinion, suitable candidates that she wanted to introduce to Yibo and his brother. Fortunately, his dad helped him immediately. Because his dad is the patriarch of the family and his mom has to obey what he says.

Actually, he had wanted to finally tell his mom that he was gay. Since his dad already knew, he wanted to finally confide in his mom and tell her about Zhan. But the way things were going, he couldn't and didn't want to do it.

The light at this time were the many hours of play with his little brothers and sisters, who loved to dance and sing together with Yibo. He did as much as he could with them. He went with them to the children's adventure playground. He visited the zoo with them. And he bought each of his siblings a little something that they were allowed to choose for themselves.

His highlight, however, was a date with Zhan. After the two had the talk under the big old oak tree at the gateway and Zhan had to go back to Paradise Academy the following day, the two wrote or talked on the phone almost daily. Even when Zhan was at the Keno Academy. Zhan's secret, which Yibo still doesn't know what it is, unfortunately made it impossible for them to date each other when Zhan was visiting the Keno Academy.

And when the vacations started, Zhan invited him on a date. Because this was the only way for the two of them to be able to see each other undisturbed. Although Yibo still wondered more and more about Zhan and his secret, knowing that Zhan loves him too made it a bit easier for him to be patient and wait. And after all, at least they had contact with each other through their phone calls and writing.

It was Saturday evening when Zhan picked him up in his car from the village and invited Yibo to the movies and to dinner. Finally being able to see each other again without Alessia calling or suddenly showing up, or being interrupted by Yibo's friends, the two really took advantage of it. So the two didn't get much of the movie, as they just kissed most of the time.

Late in the evening, as they were still sitting in the car looking at the city skyline after the movie and a visit to a restaurant, Zhan asked him, "Yibo? It's still a long way back to the village and it's very late. Do you still want me to drive you? Or do you want to spend the night in a motel and I'll take you back in the morning?"