6

"Maria?" A quiet, yet urgent voice fills Maria's ears, and the woman hums as she forces her eyes open and sits up. It was Yelena, and Maria frowns in confusion as she kicks off the blankets.

"What is it?" She asks with a frown of concern.

"Tasha's upset. She won't get out of bed." Yelena murmurs as she anxiously fists her blanket.

Maria nods as she grasps Yelena by the underarms and lifts her onto the mattress, "Okay, you stay in my bed and I'll go see if she's okay." She brings the blankets up and leans down to kiss her forehead.

"You'll be back?" The child asks tentatively, and Maria smiles as she takes her hand and gives it a squeeze.

"Right back." She reassures, and Yelena nods allowing Maria to leave the room. When she makes it to the girls room, she was met with the sight of Natasha sat up in bed, staring down at her lap. Her hands were trembling, and when she looks Maria's way, the woman could see a look of terror in her eyes, her cheeks wet with tears.

"Hi baby, is everything okay?" She carefully makes her way into the room. Natasha simply stares at her, and the fresh set of tears falling down her cheeks don't go amiss.

Maria eases herself down onto Yelena's bed, not wanting to get too close just in case it further upsets Natasha. "Was it a bad dream?" She questions gently, crossing one leg over the other.

Natasha's bottom lip trembles, and she sniffles quietly as she nods.

"Okay," Maria murmurs, "is there anything I can do to help?"

Natasha averts her gaze and shrugs her shoulders.

"What's going on sweetheart? Mhh? You won't be in trouble. I just want to make you feel better." Maria eases herself off of Yelena's bed and sits herself down onto the edge of Natasha's. Thankfully, the girl doesn't seem to mind her close proximity, and it allows Maria to find the courage to reach out and grab one of Natasha's trembling hands.

"Tell me baby. It's okay." She whispers, bringing her other hand to rest on Natasha's blanket clad leg.

Natasha goes rigid, and her trembling intensifies.

"Are you scared?" Maria asks carefully, and Natasha lets out a quiet sob as she nods.

Maria wants nothing more than to hold her, but she momentarily refrains, "Of me? Of my reaction?"

Natasha nods.

"Okay," Maria whispers as she shifts herself a little closer, "I promise, whatever happens, you're not in trouble and I won't be mad. I'm just worried baby, that's all."

"I..." Natasha starts, and she lets out another quiet sob, "I forgot to p-put on a pull-up, and I had a bad dream, and I got your bed wet and I'm sorry." She brings her arm up to her mouth to muffle her cries, and Maria frowns as she reaches out to pull the sobbing girl into her arms, wet pants be damned.

"It's okay, I'm not mad. I know it was just an accident. You're okay." She murmurs into Natasha's ear as she begin to gently rock her back and forth, lips pressing repetitive kisses to the top of her head.

Natasha nods, her cries muffled from where her head was buried in Maria's chest, "I-I'm sorry."

"I know," Maria whispers, "I know baby, it's okay. I promise." She brings the girl onto her lap, resting a hand on the back of her head.

"I'm s-sorry." Natasha cries again, and Maria could feel her throat tighten at just how scared she sounded. She couldn't even begin to imagine just what'd happened for her to be this terrified over something that had been a complete accident.