Episode XIV- A Dark Night (I)

Breathless, she turned to face him but he was long gone

Breathless, she turned to face him but he was long gone. The air still carried the evidence of his manly cologne. For the first time in the entire day, a real smile spread on Gauri's lips. Tears still fell from her eyes but this time, they held a different meaning. Respect for the man she married developed in her heart. At that moment, he wasn't merely a man but a teacher like Lord Mahadeva was to his wife- Goddess Parvati.

Filled with determination, Gauri swiped the remnants of wetness from her cheeks and took long strides towards Rajwada Palace. Entering her room, she discards the garment which made her feel uncomfortable, and washes her face clean. Draping a heavy royal blue saree over a full-sleeved blouse, she fills the partition of her forehead with vermillion and ties her hair in a low bun. Wearing a gold choker and the mangal sutra, she fills her wrists with bangles and dons a pair of golden anklets. Adjusting the free drape of saree on her head, she smiles at the reflection and returns to the same gathering where she was shamed a few moments ago.

A worried Vasundhara when saw her daughter-in-law entering the premises once again was left awestruck

The naïve girl who left and the confident woman who entered weren't the same. As Vasundhara predicted, she stood out, but not like a sore thumb. In the mob of self-obsessed creatures, she stood serenely tall, her shoulders squared and head held high. The power in her eyes and pride on her nose wasn't nailed in some etiquette sessions. She carried it from the tears of strong women who've graced these lands long before her. Her kind was different, half water and half fire.

With a profound fortitude and stagnant robustness, Gauri marched majestically, surpassing every royal present in the palace, and made her way towards the podium.

Taking a mike, she clears her throat.

"To attend to some important matters, the King had to leave urgently. In his absence and as his better half, I take the honor of welcoming all our humble guests this evening. Thank you everyone for joining us and solemnizing this union. We greatly value your gracious presence. Let me have the privilege of introducing myself as the wife of King Yagyavardhan Rana and Daughter-in-law of Queen Mother Vasundhara Devi.