Chapter 5: Some of us really suck as counselors

11:37 | July 9, 2021 - Julia
Hackett's Quarry main lodge, art class

Juls- So, guys, for today's activity I want you to expand your emotions as much as you can. I know for some of you it may be a bit difficult but please try, it will be beneficial for you in the future. I want you to write to whatever person you want, it can be family, friends, another camper, counselors, Mr. H, etc. even a famous person if you like, and tell them what makes them special to you and what inspires you. Summarizing, what do you like about a very special person to you. You can start now.
Dylan- *Knocks the door*
Juls- I'll open, keep writing. Oh hey Dylan, how did you sleep? Hahaha.
Dylan- Barely because of the nap *yawns*. I just wanted to ask, do you know where is Kaitlyn? My arms still hurt from yesterday...
Juls- Oh poor boy hahaha, I'm sorry for yesterday honey, I promise to watch over you more often haha.
Dylan- That's nice but WHERE is Kaitlyn haha.
Juls- I don't know bud, haven't seen her since breakfast, isn't she in the nurse station? If not she may be in our cabin.
Dylan- I already searched in the nurse station, I'll go have a look at the cabin, thanks.
Juls- Get well Dylan! Use the harness next time!
Dylan- I did what you did guys, not my fault!
Juls- That's why I'll be watching over you haha *closes the door*. Are you ready guys?
Kids- YES.
Juls- I'll be reading them out loud, put your names on it and write next to it if you want me to reveal it or not.
Let's start then. The first one is from Daisy... it says "Hey there, this is a letter for one of the people I admire the most, Chloe Hosterman, known globally as Dove Cameron. If you know who she is you may think "What an idiot, this girl writing about the admiration she feels towards a person that doesn't know her" well, through a screen a person can help more than you think. I grew up with a dog, a golden retriever named Sandy, she was born the same day as me and was my best friend through childhood. She was run over in 2017 at the age of 9, pretty young for a dog anyways. I swear I cried for months, almost a year, my only escape? Watching Liv and Maddie and the Descendants movies. Since then, I've been listening to Dove's music, watching her shows and films, etc. Without her even noticing, she help me through difficult times." Oh god Daisy that was beautiful *starts clapping*.
Daisy- Thanks *smiles*.
Juls- Oh my, this class is going to be tough for me hahaha. Next is by Jordan and it says "My letter goes to the best man I've met, my father, Joshua Alexander Smith. When I was 10, my father was sent to the hospital because of cancer. Yes, that's some big stuff but he's alright now so don't panic, this is not a sad recap from when my father was alive HE IS-" HAHAHAHAH, okay Jordan, I've loved it hahaha. Sorry, let's continue... "We had a though time with him in bed all day, going through treatments that probably wouldn't even work, so I wanted to stay at the hospital with him every evening after school, even though I had football practice. It was then when my father told me, and I quote: "Jordan please, don't stay here instead of going to football, train as hard as you can and feel proud of yourself, because even if I make it or not, there will be a moment in your life where you won't have me. Go and follow your dreams, if it's not for you then do it for me. I will be okay." And that's why I train so hard the sports I play everyday, even though my father made it through the illness, it's still a quote I'll never forget from one of the strongest men in the world. Thanks dad, for making me believe in myself." Oh my goodness, I should have never make you write this stuff, I'm going to cry. Well done Jordan, I'm proud of you too.
Jordan- That's for the people who ask me why I take sport so seriously if it's just a game *shrugs*.
Juls- It's great to have such a motivation, keep going big guy. Next is... not mention the name okay, it says... oh god is for Nick... "This letter goes for one of the nicest counselors I've met. Nick, I really appreciate what you do for us, you lose all the fun to make sure we have dinner on time and you are always very punctual. It's not easy to make lunch and dinner everyday for over eighty kids, and I'm pretty sure many of them don't even say thank you because they take food for granted, but I know it's tough, and I appreciate a lot your hard work. Besides, the food is great actually, apart from hard working, you are talented. We love you Nick." I hope this person goes to Nick and shows him this, he will FAINT OF HAPPINESS hahahaha. Next is, another counselor? Jacob this time, oh it's from Justin okay bud, great haha. "Having read my name I'm sure you know for who this is; that's right, Jacob, our sports coach. Thanks Jacob for everything you've done, from trusting in my sport abilities to defending me against bullies. For us at first, you looked a bit like a jocky pimp, but you demonstrated you are a great person, worthy of admiration. I'm so sorry for what happened to your friend but I also admire how strong you are to be able and talk about it in front of a bunch of 13 and 14-year-olds you barely know. I want to grow to be like you one day and transmit all those great values to the future generations. You gave me back the illusion for sport and made me realize I'm worthy. Thanks also to Emma, who also helped me with all this issue and went to search me to the cabins the day of the incident. You are my surrogated parents, I hope your relationship goes great, thanks for everything." Other two that are going to faint of happiness hahaha, do you mind if I show them this later?
Justin- I don't mind.
Juls- Perfect. Next is from Alba to... me? And Emma... oh my I don't want to cry in front of you guys hahaha. Okay... "If I'm able to write this letter is thanks to two amazing people I met not even a month ago, Emma Mountebank and Julia Ibáñez, or just Em and Juls for campers and counselors. These are the theatre and writing tutors respectively, apart from being great friends to us. My story with both girls starts at the moment Mr. H was presenting them, when Juls said she was Spanish. Then, Daisy SHOUTED I was Spanish too, so, taking advantage of the situation, I asked for some help with English, just in case. Emma told me she also knew Spanish because she have known Juls for over a decade. Camp started and I instantly became closer to them, because I needed to ask about a word meaning every two damm minutes-" HAHAHAHA, that's not true Alba, you have more control than what you think.
Alba- Keep reading!
Juls- "- so I spent most of the time getting to know them better and developing my communication skills. I admire their friendship, they can spend days apart, with the rest of the counselors, but they'll still be the best of the best friends. They are always there to help, and not just me, also the rest of the campers, and I never saw a single one of us say thank you. And no, they don't pay them for that, they pay them for organizing the activities, not for caring for us, no one pays them for being close and gentle counselors. I know it's hard to deal with a bunch of late-genz people who don't even know the difference between "two" and "too", but they do it always with a smile and never complain. I could never. Thanks girls for being the best counselors I could wish for and for being yourselves always." Alba oh my god, I'm really crying... come here dear.
Alba- *Approaches and gives her a hug*.
Daisy- Group hug!
Kids- *Approach to Juls and give her a hug*.
Juls- You guys are the best campers I've had hahaha.