Grief and yearning

Chapter Text
"Miko. Someone is in front of our house." Ei hums out as she peels her eyes away from a book and looks out the window. Yae quickly leaves her side and steps out of their house to greet the stranger.

Upon closer look, it is actually a Shogunate soldier holding a letter in his hand. Yae stands beneath the torii gates and crosses her arms.

"Speak. What is your business here?" Yae looks at him with a blank look. The soldier stiffens from her commanding tone and shakily hands over the letter.

"Matriarch Sara has requested for your visit. It is urgent." He simply says as he bows his head apologetically. Yae's early annoyance dissipates upon hearing their dear friend and takes the letter from him. He quickly scurries off into the woods once his business is done.

Yae goes back inside and sees that Ei has moved her reading in the kitchen, sitting by the kitchen table. She joins her beloved, accidentally bumping shoulders as she squeezes beside her, and puts the letter on the table.

"Sara sent this." Yae whispers. Ei puts her book down and hooks her hands over Yae's. Ever since the confessions and that was a few months ago, the priestess has grown accustomed to Ei's increased affections.

Ei silently takes the letter with her other hand and inspects the wax seal closely. Indeed, it came from the Kujou estate. She opens it slowly and spreads out the letter on the table. Both of them read it with nervousness running down their throats.

Your Excellency,

Ayaka's condition has worsened for she has lost her vision recently. I am afraid that her days are nearing an end.

I wish for you to come visit us and have a chat. Ayaka would really love to speak with you.

Kujou Sara

Ei grips the letter and it wrinkles from her agitation. Yae puts a hand over her's and kisses her head.

"I see. She wishes for us to accompany her. I can grant that." Ei mumbles as she folds the letter and slides it away from her. Yae only hums, inspecting the goddess's expression. She wears an attempt of a blank expression, trying to be unfazed by this.

But there is concern trembling in those purple eyes. Her lips twitch as she stares off to the distance.

"You can go now. I will take care of the house." Yae brushes her hair tentatively. Ei's shoulder stiffens as she casts her divine gaze on her. The priestess looks, searching for her emotions.

"No. You come with me. I am afraid that my behaviour will only dampen the mood. Your teasing personality will actually ease their hearts." Ei smiles but it is forced. It is tight and rehearsed.

Yae does not comment about it because she is doing the same thing, hiding their apprehensiveness over these mortals' lives.

It is strange. How much they care. Never have they ever thought that they would get attached to mortals and consider them as loved ones. Especially Ei, who has promised herself to detach herself from the mortal world.