(32)

( Fellowship of the Spear - Part 3 of 7 )

Nate slammed a heavy book down on the table with a thump.

'I did a year abroad at Oxford while working on my masters. And in between dating this girl Wendy I remembered that I'd read this unpublished paper by this classical scholar from the early 20th century.' Nate explained. 'Now this scholar had this far-fetched theory about Sir Gwaine. The knight on the crusades were questing, not for the holy grail, but for something far more valuable.'

'The blood of Christ.' Rip concluded.

'Exactly. Now, the paper went on to theorise that Gwaine had a vial of this precious substance on him up until his death. So, it must have been buried with him somewhere in the north of France.' Nate finished.

'Just somewhere in the north of France?' Thea asked.

'That's a big area.' Sara noted.

'I know, but if anyone knows where to start looking, it's this guy.' Nate said, holding up the book.

'The burden of the purest heart.' Amaya read aloud. 'Sir Gwaine and the secret treasure. Written by...'

'John Ronald Reul Tolkien.' Nate completed.

'You're kidding.' Sara and Thea said in unison.

'Nope! The guy who wrote the hobbit and lord of the rings.'

Tolkien was in the north of France in 1916, during the battle of the Somme. As a secondary lieutenant in WWI.

'Well, looks like we're going back to war.' Sara said.

Word Count: 231 words

Written: 7th September 2022 || Published: 7th September 2022