Fourteen

[Temple, Iraq. Thursday,
May 30, 2003.]

𝙲𝙷𝙰𝚂𝙼
𝟸𝟹:𝟻𝟹 𝙷𝚁𝚂
𝙳𝙴𝙿𝚃𝙷: 𝟷𝟻𝟿 𝙵𝚃

After the ghoulish and frightening events with José "Joey" Gomez, Y/n L/n took it upon herself to wave her imaginary and figurative white flag in the air — taking the next few moments to recoup her lost composure. She also wanted to take this break to make sense of what had just happened. Joey was somehow resurrected, his face transforming into something almost unrecognizable. He was filled with lust for her but hatred for the men.

How could this be, she thought as her eyebrows furrowed with subtle confusion. Jason Kolchek and Nicholas Kay, on the other hand, were inspecting the perimeter for any unwelcome guests. The creatures from below still bustled with anger, their snarls and growls never ceasing ever since the body of Joey fell down the chasm.

"I'm not seeing anything come up, but I can hear 'em," Nick said as left his position to peer down the crevasse. "Sounds like they're having way more fun down there than we are up here. Over." He hypothesized, radioing over to Jason who was checking cameras inside the temple.

"Long as they keep the party to themselves, I'm happy," the Southern man retorted with a gruff voice. "We got nothing on the cameras inside. Over."

"Eyes alive." While on patrol, Nick finds a catalogue which detailed the archaeologists' discoveries, including certain artefacts. "All clear for now." He added just as the lieutenant hurried down the steps to regroup with Nick and Y/n.

"If they hit us, my best hunch is it'll be from the chasm," Jason replied as he stopped by Nick's side. "If? You feeling optimistic, Lieutenant?" He retorted.

"I tell you, the Colonel could lose his own ass if it wasn't pinned on him," Jason spared a moment to poke fun at Eric King. "You see our absent friend down here?" He quickly diverted to another subject, looking down at the chasm.

"Salim?" Nick frowned before shrugging his shoulders. "Nah, he's gone." He added.

"We're facing the enemy we know zero about. Enemy of unknown size, on their home turf. Sucks to be us," Jason let out an exasperated sigh. It was ironic, considering that they were fighting for their lives against the Iraqis a few hours prior. "I don't know how long those doors can hold them back."

"The radio is our best shot," Nick looked over his shoulder to look at the old piece of machinery. "We can fix it up, call in the cavalry. Even shit up a bit." He went on.

"If there is a transmitter up there, it's going to have a limited range," Jason advised, looking down at the ground. "One thing Eric did manage to get right about this shit show..." he trailed off.

"He gave us air support," Nick finished, smiling. "Lord loves a miracle."

"We get that signal out, our birds may be close enough to hear it. Still means we have to find to reach 'em, of course."

"One problem at a time," Nick replied before the two began to scavenge the area for the radio.

In their search, Lieutenant Kolchek took it upon himself to approach Y/n who was reading a piece of parchment which described speculations about the creature that defies biology as they know it. "How long have these entities lived beneath our feet? Do they awaken every few centuries to prey on us? The Akkadians knew them, if only in ancestral memory. Pazuzu's form is clearly a depiction of them," she read aloud when noticing the Southern man now standing beside her. "I theorise that their attacks have informed the folklore of humanity itself. An Ur-myth that permeates across cultures - the winged demon, the horned satyr, the minotaur. The... vampire." She then set down the paper.