Chapter 27: Fight For Peace

Wendell

Kana and Wendell awkwardly stand beside the well behind the schoolhouse. It's sorta become their usual spot when wishing to chat privately at dawn. Fumbling with the small wrapped gift in hand, all he has to do is pass it over to her. A bit of nervousness stirs in him about how she will react, though prolonging this won't change the girl's response.

"Uh, I just wanted to finally give ya your present since there was no school yesterday. Could've let Saelufu bring it to your party but I preferred to deliver this myself. Kana, happy belated birthday."

She slowly accepts the object from him and then tears away the thin paper. Inside is a single long cherry red ribbon that's decorated with a unique pattern. Something sweet but cheap which is the perfect accessory for Frederick to buy her.

"See, I picked up a neat ribbon I ran across at the shopping plaza here the other day. I noticed you always have them in your hair, and I don't recall ya ever wearin this one before. I really hope ya like it," he adds, but the brunette doesn't seem too pleased, instead looking disappointed by his simple gift.

"...Y-Yeah, it's great. Thanks, Frederick," Kana mumbles, and no sooner than she gives her forced gratitude, the bell rings. "Well, we should get moving before Ms. Grumphan makes us stay after."

Not waiting for him to follow, Kana takes off ahead as the prince's body is left numb. He truly hoped she would have some type of positive reply, but this was contrary to receiving that expensive locket. None of the facts add up, him more uncertain with every little test or perhaps he's just in denial.

At certain times, Kana acts like she does have mutual feelings for myself. Although each trial I pull with Frederick, she always seems to fail. Is she that good of an actress towards me, or is the fault in Saelufu's experiment as a whole?

...

At twilight, the sun dimly lights the hallways as Wendell makes his way back to his bedroom. Still lost in thought about the poor results this morning, he nearly bumps into someone coming around the corner. It's none other than the castle bishop who currently appears more troubled than himself.

The man is of average height, brown-skinned, and wearing his usual robes. Theodore has been working as their bishop since the prince was just a young boy. He's always full of wisdom and compassion although it seems the righteous servant could possibly need a listening ear.

"Good evening. Is it a stressful workload today?" he greets, and the older man gives a tired smile.

"Evening to you, Your Highness. I wouldn't say my work is to blame for these wrinkles... I just got done speaking with your mother, and I'm afraid her wrath has clouded her sense of judgment." Theodore releases a heavy sigh, the prince rarely witnessing him quite like this.

"What happened?" Wendell further questions, being a good distraction from his current dilemma.

"It was about our planned attack fast approaching. Yesterday, two men came forward and revealed how this war truly began. Lorenzo is the mastermind, even deceiving the leader he serves from the beginning."

"You're saying their court alchemist is the one at fault for all of this? Regardless of what those men claim, he is still the one who took my father's life. Besides, why wait so late before coming clean? Their whole testimony could very well be a lie," he grumbles, unable to accept some sorry gamble to save that cruel king from meeting his fate.

"...Do you know what your father's last wish was before his passing? After voicing how dearly he loved his family, he whispered one final note. That he wanted our kingdoms to have unity with each other spilling no more bloodshed," Theodore informs, and Wendell's nails dig so deep into his curled hands that his own blood threatens to spill. "Your father believed there was a reason why a noble king like Henry would drastically change. Despite the fact that King Gus didn't live long enough to discover the root of it for himself. Given a new light shown on the issue, we can make reality-"