Nova & Lumînous (Background 4)

It's been a week since the floor magically turned into that staircase, a week since she heard such a suspicious conversation, since she was followed, and since Nova started to drift.

Lumînous didn't blame him, though she really wanted to. She was being responsible. Everyone would be proud. And Novakin wasn't going to be a problem.

Nothing new happened since then. There was only tension between the three siblings. Lumînous could tell something was going on, but she wasn't smart enough to figure out the truth.

If she asked Nova maybe he could tell if Midnight actually knew it was Lumînous who saw her, or if the tension was even about that night in the first place. She couldn't ask him though.

She felt betrayed how he immediately backed out in fear. How could he do that to her?

She sat down on an old worn tree right near the castle, it was the middle autumn and yet the sun still boiled down on her, of course not all the blame could go to the sun. Phoenixs naturally radiated heat, it usually isn't bad but when you live in an entire empire of them it doesn't go well.

Nova was hidden in the shade near her. Actually hidden was a bad word, his flame colored feathers would practically glow in such a dark space. He was simply reading a book. A book she's seen many times. The book of demons.

Demons were evil and it was shuned to associate yourself with them. Nova however really loved learning about the most useless of facts. What a know-it-all. It was actually the only rule Nova has ever broken and only she knew about it. Stealing a forbidden book. How boring of him.

She did have to admit thought it was a little interesting, she remembered the first day he got the book after it went "Missing" it was filled with pages on specific demons. It was a bit of a surprise how much knowledge was collected about these individuals. How would that even happen?

Not only do they live in a different dimension but they were very dissociated even with each other. All so mean. Who spent their time studying the species? Must have been dangerous because if someone tried to put all of Lumînous' personal strengths and flaws on a bit of paper she would hit them, magic or not.

Novakin then noticed the fact that Lumînous had been staring at him for probably more than a few minutes. They held awkward eye contact until the wind started blowing heavily. She watched as his feathers shook and the pages of the book flew away. He closed up the book and walked away, probably to find someplace less windy.

Lumînous looked up at the sky, it was definitely going to rain soon. She wished Nova didn't have to stop talking to her that much. He tried to act like he didn't know her secret and pretend he wasn't concerned about it too, but it only made him dissociate, like a demon. She thought.

This full week and no new information. She couldn't stop thinking about it all the time. The sky began to drizzle, she didn't care though. The situation actually started to make her sad. Maybe she didn't know what was going on, maybe she was assuming things and it was only breaking her family apart.

But nobody could say it seemed like her mom wasn't always broken off. Maybe she was sad too. Of course they all had a reason to be, all of them. The phoenixs weren't ever accepting of other species living with them. Let alone 'tainting' their precious royal blood with some other, magicless bird. They were all one big sad family.