XLII

April, 1971

I was at work with Ashley, Vicky and Fate sitting at their usual booth. Roger had tried to persuade me into taking the day off and come to the studio, as he was walking me to my work, then when I said I couldn't, his annoyed mood quickly changed when he took his eyes off me, something else dragging his attention, then he smiled, kissed my cheek, dismissed the invitation I had to decline and walked to the studio in a hurry.

I wasn't an idiot, I had a sneaking suspicion about what he was gazing at, but when i turned my back no one was there. It almost looked like a ghost town, albeit it was only 8 o'clock in the morning on a Sunday.

I went on with my day, trying to act as if earlier didn't happen, although it was still nagging me in the back of my mind.

I decided after work to head to the studio, I walked in, catching the eye of Freddie. Roger, Brian and John were in the box, seemed to be arguing about something to do with the sound of something.

"Alice, darling!" Freddie announced, sautering over to encircle his welcoming arms around me.

"Hi, Fred" I smiled, wrapping my arms around him.

"So glad you could be here! Roger said you wouldn't make it?" Freddie questioned.

"I got off work early" I explained, shrugging my shoulders, as Freddie was leading me over to a couch and sat me down on it, as he continued standing.

Roger was standing in the box, refusing to meet my eyes, as he nervously rubbed the back off his neck. "I'm going out for a smoke" he announced, walking out the back and into the outdoors.

"Finally, I've been waiting-" I heard the sound of an obnoxious female voice, coming from outside, being cut off as the door closed behind Roger. My heart dropped, and I let out a deep shaky breath. Was that what he was gazing at when he dropped me off at work? Was it the same woman from new years? All these thought circled my head like a train, that I didn't even notice the question being directed at me, until I heard my name being mentioned. "Alice? Are you alright?" John asked, leaning his elbows on his lap, as they all stared at me.

"Oh, uh, yeah, I'm fine... I'll just be back in a minute" I stood up, I barely even tried to make an excuse, since I was an awful liar, and couldn't think of anything.

I walked out the front way, then peeked over to the side, where I heard Roger's and the same woman's voice talking around the back.

I sneeked over to the side of the building, creeping closer to the back so I could hear what they're saying.

"What do you mean your girlfriends here? The one with the poorly cut fringe and curls? You could have so much better" I heard the bimbo telling Roger, referring to me, I caught a glimpse of her. She has some fucking nerve talking about my poorly cut fringe, hers was barely just passed her hair line. I couldn't see her face I was too busy looking at the familiar horrendous fringe.

"Catherine, that's your sister. How can you hate her that much? Besides I'm trying to end this because what me and Alice have going on is amazing and I don't want to mess it up... Again" I heard Roger defend. My heart dropped even further down. Catherine? My sister, Catherine? The same bitch who always try to take everything good I have? What would her husband even say to that? And how could Roger do that, after telling him everything she has done to me?

"Sorry, am I interrupting something?" I asked, standing in front of them, Roger's eyes widened in fear, as Catherine rolled her eyes. I was trying so hard to keep the tears at bay, and thankfully they didn't make an appearance.