Prologue 1: BEGINNINGS

Prologue 1: Beginnings

A raven-haired boy rested on the branch of a tree. His crimson red eyes gazing the wide azure sky.

It soothed his mind.

"Hey, Red!" a boy called out.

Turning his head, Ash located the source of the voice, his first friend, Gary Oak.

"Yo, Green. What do you need? Blue's not with you?"

"Nope, she's packing. Just asking what you're up to for the next month. Blue and I are taking a vacation at Alola, you wanna come with?"

Ash shook his head.

"Sorry but Professor Oak already signed me up for his summer camp," Ash stated apologetically.

Gary sighed at his friend. "Welp. Guess it's just Blue and my family with me then. Minus the geezer," he said with another sigh.

Ash was subtly saddened at the mention of the word 'family' as his mother, Delia Ketchum, passed untimely due to his birth, leaving the last name 'Ketchum' to him as her legacy.

Another being the lightning-shaped birthmarks on his cheeks.

"Well then, have fun. Oh, and don't even think about copying my essay topic for our homework," Gary said with a pompous tone. "I WILL be the greatest Pokémon trainer, after all."

Ever since the boys knew each other, they have been rivals in every sense of the word. Homework, card games, finger wrestling and fishing are just a few things they have competed at. The textbook definition of the word 'rivalry'.

A young girl soon came into view, a chestnut-haired girl with deep-blue eyes. Blue had found Gary and Ash.

"There you are, Green! Daisy's looking for you. Oh, and Red, are you coming with?" Blue asked with eagerness.

For the 3 years she has been in Pallet Town, Blue was bullied by her peers as she was from Unova. Children do not like different things and so, Blue was an easy target. However, she was saved by two lifelong friends, Ash and Gary, who were not afraid to throw hands at her bullies.

They helped her by saving her whenever she got into trouble and sticked close to her so she would never be alone. The two even went as far as to name themselves 'Red' and 'Green' after their eye colour to prevent her from feeling alienated due to her being the only one with a Unovan name.

Everything they did, they were always together, which was why she became disheartened when Ash was not coming with them.

A few days later, Ash said his goodbyes to Gary, Blue and Daisy and proceeded to attend Oak's summer camp. Alone.

Although, not related by blood, Samuel Oak regarded Ash Ketchum as his own grandson alongside Gary. The two 'got along' so well that one could mistake them for brothers if not for their vastly different appearances. And so, decided to help him out a bit.

"Ash, would you like me to put you into a group, seeing as Gary and Blue are not here?", Oak asked, eyeing a duo consisting of his apprentice's daughter, Chloe and another pompous but intelligent child.

"Nah, if Green and Blue aren't here, I rather be alone. The others are probably jerks," Ash refused stubbornly, banishing even the thought of having to be grouped up with strangers.

With a sigh, Samuel Oak reluctantly accepted his decision as he knew how Ash was: stubborn and fiercely loyal to his friends. While both are great qualities, Ash simply refuses to make any more friends due to his past experiences with his second friend's bullies.

The first day of the camp started with a task of bringing back a Pokémon released by Oak, with each of them being a different species with different points. Boisterous cries were released by the frantic children as the word: 'GO' was shouted.

Ash Ketchum was not one of them. He was a boy who regarded Pokémon as friends. He then thought back to the time when he ran into the forest, pained with the overlording sense of loneliness and guilt as he found out about his mother's death. Rainstorm took the night sky's place and Ash found himself in tears inside a trunk of a tree. There, Pokémon seeking shelter from the rain cuddled with him, keeping him company. With that, his admiration and love for Pokémon will forever be established and continue to grow endlessly.

"Mommy!"

Ash was then snapped back into reality as a voice cried out. Faint whimpers were heard, growing clearer as he ran towards the voice. Then, a blue round amphibian-like creature was caught in his vision as it hopped towards his destination as well.

"Poliwag?" he muttered softly.

Ash found himself in a small clearing with Poliwag hopping off, as if it had finished his duty.

"Hey, Poli..."

He then laid his eyes upon the source of the whimpers.

A sight he will never forget for the rest of his life.

Boy meets girl.

A straw hat.

Destinies intertwined.

Honey blonde hair that seemed to sparkle under the sunlight.

Red meets blue.

And finally...

Their ever-lasting encounter.

The most beautiful blue eyes that took his breath away.

Prologue 1 : Beginnings

"Hey, my name's Ash. What's yours?"

There, the first page of the story began.

"Serena."