Heal

You broke the moon.

No, it’s not like you shattered it... You just stole its reflecting layer. It was made of some fine silver, and it absorbed just the right amount of sunlight. It would fit perfectly on your castle floor... You thought, so you did it. You stole the moon’s silver.

But there’s no light in the night anymore. Without the light, people can’t find your castle at night. And without the people, you can’t have your prom.

You wouldn’t say you messed up, you did your research. Even if there’s no moonlight, there should still be starlight. You look at the night sky, it’s nothing but pure black. No moon, no stars, not even a shiny freckle. This shouldn’t be happening... Unless someone stole the stars.

No one can stand between you and your dream prom. You have to find the person behind the missing stars.

And then, he appears. He looks like any other guy from Earth. Except he has a pair of black wings sprouting from his back. That must mean that he’s an angel! How dare anyone steal your special night? He’s going to pay for this! You take his hand and pull him through the air. Then you let go of his hand, because you don’t want to risk breaking the fragile glass of your castle. His wings spread out and make a barrier around you, protecting you from everything else. But what’s happening? You feel something inside of you break...

Your eyes flash open with tears pouring down your cheeks. A few seconds later, someone pulls you into a tight embrace. “Hey, hey, calm down. It’s okay, I’m here.” Your head is resting against the chest of someone who smells familiar...

It hits you... The person hugging you isn’t a stranger. He’s the only one who knows how to comfort you properly... The man who saved your life a year ago...

“Hans...?” you sob. “I saw you die! I saw you fall off of Heaven! I wanted to save you! But I couldn’t! Why are you here?! Where are we?! What happened?! Who took my prom!?” Your voice breaks as you continue to cry.

“Shhh, shhh...” Hans whispers. His fingers rub circles onto your back while the other strokes your hair. “Calm down, please. You need to breathe.”

After taking deep breaths, you begin to calm down. “I know you won’t tell me the truth. So why bother talking?” You mumble under your breath as you wipe away the tears streaming down your face.

He chuckles. “I guess I deserved that. Look, I wasn’t supposed to come. I didn’t even think angels were allowed to come to human events! But since I helped you escape, I figured it’d be best to stick close, don’tcha think?”

You nod slightly. “I guess. You do care, don’t you? I know angels can’t get hurt, but... I feel bad that all the others are suffering because of me.”

His grip on you tightens. “You’re not hurting anyone. Not everyone can fly or see the sun. I’m sure there are plenty of other things that make you sad. Like...” He pauses. “What do you usually do when the sun goes down?”

You think about it for a moment before answering. “Well... I always stay awake until dawn. Sometimes I read books, sometimes I write songs. Sometimes...” You trail off. “Sometimes I sleep, but only for a couple hours. It doesn’t matter. They deserve better than me anyway.”

“Don’t you think that’s kind of selfish? To deprive them of happiness just because you’re too miserable to enjoy yours?”

You shrug. “Maybe. But... I’ve already caused so much damage to the world. Maybe this will finally fix everything.” You pause. “Or maybe it won’t. But if it does, I’ll be happy. If not, well... I don’t really care.”

He sighs, his fingers gently caressing your cheek. “You really are beautiful, Y/N.”

“Not to mention brave, strong, witty, and... and incredibly pretty,” you mutter. You blush a bit at saying this.

He smiles. “You’re also a great friend. I wish I could say the same about my brothers, but they don’t share that sentiment.” His smile fades as he continues to stare at you. “Are you... lonely, Y/N? Do you ever miss the stars?”

“Of course. But I don’t regret saving humans like you and your brother. My job was to bring happiness to everyone, even if it meant risking my own life.”

He hugs you tightly. You can feel his warmth radiate throughout you. Despite the sadness, you can’t help but relax in his arms. You never realized how much you needed this. Someone who actually cares about you, who understands what you went through. You wrap your arms around his neck and hug him back. He lets go slowly after a long time.

“Thank you, Hans,” you whisper. “For staying by my side. For being there when I needed you.” You give him another hug, and this time you both linger there for longer than necessary. It’s a little awkward considering his wings. But neither of you seem to mind. As far as you’re concerned, there’s no difference between hugs.

When the two of you finally part, his expression changes. “How about we head to bed now? You’re gonna need some rest after today’s events.”

You smile sadly. “Yeah.”

The two of you walk down the stairs. Once you reach the bottom, you notice the door. It’s been opened. ‘Someone entered my room without my permission’, you think. ‘That can’t be good’, you decide.

You and Hans enter his bedroom together. You lay down on your bed. Hans sits beside you. “Do you want me to stay with you tonight?” he asks.

You shake your head. “No, it’s alright. I’ll be fine. Just try to get some sleep, ok?”

You turn over to face the wall. You hear his soft snoring soon follow.

You spend the rest of the night tossing and turning. You wonder how long Hans had been waiting for your return. Did he wait long enough? You decide to stop wondering about this and just enjoy tonight.

After spending several hours staring at the ceiling, you finally fall asleep. When you wake up, it’s morning. ‘Great, another day spent doing nothing productive. What am I going to do? There’s no way I’m going to be able to work at the flower shop today...’ 

Then you remember: You still have a prom to prepare for. ‘Ahh! What do I do with flowers?!’