68. Meeting of Knights

"Now listen!" Ayla stopped Reuben before the door to the tower chamber and held a finger under his nose as if he were a misbehaving puppy that had to be taught a lesson. "You stay here, while I pave the way."

Oh, by the devil and all his demons! This was really too much to bear. Reuben rolled his eyes.

"Why can't I just come in and get it over with?" he growled.

"Are you insane? My father is old and sick! His heart is not what it used to be."

"Meaning you think I scare people to death with my mere presence, is that it?"

"Well..." he watched while she inspected him from head to toe. He had insisted on putting on his red armor for this occasion, and finally Ayla had relented. None of the garments in the castle that were fit for a nobleman of his station were large enough to fit him, and knight's armor was, after all, perfectly acceptable for most social occasions. Depending on the reaction of Ayla's father, Reuben suspected that in this case it might even be life-saving. Ayla continued her inspection of the six-foot seven beast of a warrior in front of her for a few moments, her eyes finally landing on the huge sword at his waist.

"To be absolutely frank, Reuben... yes, you do."

"Really?" A delighted grin spread over his face. "Thank you very much for the compliment, Milady."

Rolling her eyes, Ayla grabbed the door knob.

"You stay here, and wait," she commanded again.

"Yes, Milady. As you wish, Milady."

The door closed behind her, and Reuben could hear the muffled sound of voices from inside the room. He couldn't understand a word of what they said, though. A frown appeared on his face. He couldn't have that, now, could he?

Quickly, he took two steps towards the door and pressed his ear against the oak. Oh yes, it was much better like this.

"...something I haven't told you, father," he heard Ayla's voice.

"I thought as much," came the reply in a brittle, old voice he had never heard before. "The servants have been whispering about a knight's duel on the walls during the final battle—and the only knights we have left are Sir Waldar and Sir Rudolphus. They didn't use their names. They spoke of someone else. Somebody they called 'Sir Reuben'. And I have heard the shouts of soldiers training from the outer yard. What happening, my daughter? Who is this Sir Reuben?"

"Um... the new commander of our armed forces."

There was a pause. Then, the old man said, in what Reuben thought was a remarkably calm and  friendly voice:

"Kindly explain to me how a stranger whom I have never met or heard of in my life came to be the commander of all my vassals while I wasn't looking."

Ayla cleared her throat. "Well, I'd have to start from the beginning, I suppose..."

"That would be a good idea, yes."

"It was before the siege started, you know."

"I see. So you made this man commander of our vassals several months ago and haven't seen fit to mention the fact?" Still, the old man's voice was amazingly calm and friendly. Or at least it sounded calm and friendly. Reuben had been around long enough to know the difference.

"No, no," Ayla was quick to assure him. "I didn't mean putting him in command. I mean this whole thing with him started back then."

"Indeed? What 'thing' are we talking about precisely?" Still friendly, yes... but under the soft surface there was steel.