two - cat in the hat

RORY WAS FINISHING up her piece about Mr. Medina fro the newspaper on her computer. Meghan sat upright on the bed reading, but assisted Rory with the phrasing of her writing whenever the brunette asked her, which was quite a lot. 

"M'ladies," Lorelei said from outside the bedroom door.

"Come in," Rory answered.

"Hey, you two joining  the festivities?" She asked.

"In a second," Rory replied, furiously typing, "Meg, give me another word for obsolete."

"Anachronistic." Meghan replied sharply, still focused in the book in her hand.

"That's good. That's really good. Thanks."

"No problem."

"Wow, okay. Don't concentrate too hard girls. Boys like 'em dumb. Right Jackson?" Lorelei asked him. 

"If you can navigate yourself around a tree, keep on walking." Jackson added, ever so helpfully. Before anyone could say anymore, there were three loud knocks at the door. 

"Coming!" Lorelei called out, rushing to the front hallway.

"Meg! How do I make aging and becoming old fashioned is inevitable' sound smart?" Rory asked.

Meghan took a second, then suggested, "As we stop fighting the struggle into our senescence, we learn that our becoming into antediluvian lore is, indeed, inevitable. Always use indeed, Rory, it's a great way to seem smart." She returned to her book.

"What would I do without y—" 

Rory was interrupted by the her mother yelling, "Rory, Meg, they're here."

"Coming!" Rory yelled back, turning around to see a dark haired boy. 

"Hey," she greeted him.

"Hey," he replied.

"I'm Rory. That's Meg." Rory said, glancing at the other girl.

He follow her eyes to the blonde girl on the bed, engrossed in her book.

"Meg!" Rory yelled, trying to get her attention.

"How many fucking synonyms do yo—" Meghan finally looked up from her book, staring at Rory, annoyed. She then noticed Jess.

She smiled politely and put down her book then said, "Hey."

He nodded, and observed the books on Rory's shelves.

"Wow, aren't we hooked on phonics." He observed.

"Yeah those are mostly Meg's. I'm more of a math person." Rory explained, turning off her computer.

"Oh It's mostly just Cat in the Hat, Magic Treehouse, and Nancy Drew kind of crap...Do you read?" She said and asked jokingly.

"Not much," He answered, picking up the book Meg had put down next to her.

"I could loan you that if you want," Rory suggested.

"Yeah, I was about to finish it, actually. I'm literally on the last line." Meghan said, giving Rory a death glare but adding to her suggestion.

"No thanks." He declined.

Lorelai stood into the doorway, "Okay, we really need to get Jackson away from those lemons now, so we're moving the feast to the living room," She told them before walking away. 

"Be right there," Rory assured her.

"So, do these open?" Jess inquired, gesturing towards the window.

"Oh yeah, you just have to unlatch them and then push." Rory innocently explained to him.

"Great. Shall we?" He asked, looking from one girl to the other.

Meghan giggled. "You're going to hate it here," She told him, "There's absolutely nothing to do around Stars Hollow. The 24-hour mini-mart just closed 20 minutes ago."

"So, we'll walk around or sit on a bench and stare at our shoes." Jess shrugged, wiling to do anything but attend this dinner.

"I've done enough of that in my life. I'm sure Rory will join you though."

"No!" Rory exclaimed sternly, "Look, Sookie just made a ton of great food, and I'm starving. And though it may not seem like it right at this moment, it's goanna be fun." After she concluded her inspirational talk, Rory went to the kitchen.

"You want a soda?" She called out to Jess.

"I'll get it," He said.

"Meg?"

"No thanks."

Meghan got up from the bed with a soft groan. She picked up Othello and read the highly-anticipated last line aloud.

"When you shall these unlucky deeds relate,/ Speak of me as I am; nothing extenuate,/ Nor set down aught in malice: then must you speak/ Of one that loved not wisely but too well," She stood there silently admiring the ending. Seconds later, she remembered the boy standing next to her staring at her and said, "Done," tossing the book back to the bed before walking out.

Meghan stopped and turned around, clinging to the doorframe.

"You know, I meant what I said. You really are going to hate it here." She smiled at him briefly then finally left the room.

"I already did," He muttered.

"But maybe less now." He thought.