Chapter Four: In Name Alone

Demery did not dine with Cate that night. After what he had said on the drive home, she thought she understood. Miss Skinner did not understand and remarked at length on the strangeness of Demery's absence as she slurped, crunched, and gnawed her way through a meal which ultimately she deemed to be only edible. After dinner, they retired to Cate's sitting room. Or rather, Cate retired to her sitting room, and Miss Skinner marched in after her, sat down on the most comfortable chair, and said that Cate must want a cup of tea to fill the spot that dinner had not. Cate, who was too timid to ever openly rebel, seized upon the rare chance for a left-handed victory and said mildly that she was quite stuffed and could not possibly fit in even a cup of tea.

Miss Skinner could not now decently say that she wanted a cup of tea. She moved her lips about as though trying to dislodge something stuck between her teeth. Cate hoped she would say good night and leave. It was barely eight, but the pink bed in the other room was beckoning her name.

Instead, Miss Skinner asked, "How did you find Captain Demery's family?"

Had she asked immediately after Cate returned, Cate might have complained of her treatment. Now, the sting of the offence had faded, and she could even find it in herself to understand their position. They loved Captain Demery, and she had betrayed him, so they found it hard to like her. Miss Skinner would not understand that. Miss Skinner would cavil, as she usually did, and that would only make Cate feel bad again.

"They were well," Cate said.

Miss Skinner was too occupied with sucking at her teeth to reply. To distract herself from the action, Cate added, "His sister is widowed. It must have been some time ago, for she does not wear weeds."

"Mmm." Miss Skinner's cheek bulged as her tongue worked against her teeth.

"And the brother is married and lives in Wrexham," Cate continued, trying to look anywhere but at Miss Skinner. "I understand that he is a solicitor. There may be a baby out of his marriage soon, but it is too early to be sure."

That distracted Miss Skinner from the thing between her teeth. "Demery will have a nephew?"

"Or perhaps a niece. Or perhaps none at all. Mrs Wynn suggested that Mr Paul Demery was being too hopeful."

"You should pray that Mrs Wynn is right. Were Demery to have a babe in his own family to give affection to, he might be inclined to mistreat Luke."

That had not occurred to Cate. She thought doubtfully of the blue, perfect bedroom for Luke. That had been designed without any affection, and with every consideration. "I think that unlikely."

"We must be prepared for any possibility," Miss Skinner said. "Your position is by no means certain even if you are his wife. It is clear the man does not love you."

Somehow, that was more a relief than a worry. Cate relaxed back a little onto the cushions. "For now, I feel secure enough here in this room."

"Of course, you do," Miss Skinner said. "You know I am here with you, to look after you."

Politeness had been bred too deeply into Cate to reply with anything but perfect promptness. "I am very thankful for your presence, Miss Skinner."

Miss Skinner smiled broadly, revealing a lump of lamb fat wedged between incisor and canine. Cate wondered if she dared go to her bedroom to retrieve a toothpick. No. Miss Skinner would think it an insult.

"But what of Demery's mother?" Miss Skinner asked. "She must be about my age, I think."

"I should put her at just past fifty." Cate looked doubtfully at the creases around Miss Skinner's eyes and mouth. Miss Skinner had never admitted her age. It was safer to say... "Some years older than you."