𝘛𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺 𝘰𝘯𝘦

I run into the back of the grocery store for work after detention, I change into my black jeans and black collar shirt that we need for work. I quickly call Charlie.

"Hello, how was detention?" Charlie asks and he starts crunching on something but I ignore it and start buttoning up my shirt as I put my phone between my ear and shoulder.

"Charlie, I have a big problem." I struggle to button my shirt.

"Oh no. Come over." He talks with his mouth full making it hard to understand him, but I'm used to it now so I've basically nailed Charlie's talking with his mouth full language.

"I can't! I have work and I can't stop thinking about her, Charlie am I obsessed?" I drop my hands from the button and stare at the wall waiting for his response.

"Di. I can't really answer that question since I don't know much about this situ-"

"Charlie! You're supposed to tell me no Diana, you're not obsessed at all."

"My moms calling me, just text me after you've finished work. Stay over at my place tonight." He says before hanging up and my shoulders slump, I'm going to murder him. My phone starts ringing again and it's Bella, I answer.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hey, I've called and texted you a few times. You didn't respond so I started to get worried, you weren't back straight after school." Bella answers and I finally finish buttoning my shirt.

"Oh....I had detention, I'm at work now. I'm probably staying at my friend Charlie's for the night so you guys have a break from me." I laugh and Bella does too.

"Alright, just text me when you're coming back later because I'm very much an over thinker. I'll see you tomorrow Diana." She says and I say bye before hanging up.

I feel bad for how long I've been staying at Floyd and Arabella's, I keep reminding them that I'm trying to get out of their way and they just keep telling me I'm welcome there and I don't need to leave anytime soon.

I open the door and walk across the store to one of the tills and sit down. This is going to be a long evening..

✺ ✺ ✺

Fifteen minutes left...I sit back moving the chair side to side bored. I don't talk to any of the other workers here. I get okayish money so I guess it's fine.

I look over to the entrance and see Jane and my dad walk in, hand in hand. I roll my eyes and look away. I love Jane, I do. I am so grateful for everything she's done for me but her relationship with my dad is just something I can't really accept that easily. He isn't a good man and I can't be sure that he's changed.

I take out my phone to text Charlie.

Diana
I'll be over soon and I'm going to murder you.

Charlie
RUDE I'm literally letting you stay in my house since your technology homeless?

Diana
And you technically* cannot spell. It's also you're...

Charlie
Shut up.

Diana
🤐🤐

I hear stuff being put up on the till so I look up from my phone and see Jane with my dad. There is three other open tills and of course they come to mine.

"Do you remember these when you were younger? You love them." My dad holds up a box of Swedish fish. I huff and look away scanning their things.

"I used to love them. And you used to buy them for me to apologise for hitting me." I look away, I'm being really mean. But he deserves it.

"Diana, I'm trying." He speaks quietly and puts the box of candy down.

"You could of tried years ago, when you decided to leave without me. I mean I was happy that you started to get sober but then you pack up and leave when mom started going downhill? You don't know the stuff I went through when you left."

"How about we go out to dinner? Just once, please." Jane speaks up.

"Is my mom going to magically show up there too?" I ask and stop scanning her things then look at her before raising my eyebrows.

"How is she by the way? Or do either of you know? Jane, you cut off my mom because she put me through hell but he did the same." I snap and she looks down.

"She's in New York." My dad says, me and Jane both look at him.

"She's not any better than before, she got locked up a couple of months ago but she's out. She's a drug addict and an alcoholic." He adds and I quickly scan the rest of the things and put them in the bag.

"Forty seven, ninety five." I sit back and Jane hands me money, I get out her change and hand it to her along with her receipt.

"So the dinner?" Jane waits and I shake my head.

"I'm sorry, I can't." I stand up and Jane looks at me.

"I love you Diana, I really hope you forgive me soon." Jane says before picking up the bag and my dad takes out the box of Swedish fish putting them down in front of me. I love Jane, I really do and it's not that I'm mad but I'm just hurt. I want to hug her and go back home but I don't want to see my dad anymore than I do.

"I know you'll never forgive me but I hope one day we can have an actual conversation." He says before they both walk out of the store.

I feel guilty. I shouldn't feel guilt when this isn't my fault. But if it's not my fault why do I feel like everything is this way because of me.