36 | A Resolution

Edge's body was propelled forward and spun

Edge's body was propelled forward and spun. Something pressed against her. A crossbow. Someone released an arrow. So, who...

A groan reached her ears. She looked down to find Eliott draped over her like a used rag. His arms cradled her, his warmth seeping through her torn clothes. What's wrong with him? Did they shoot at her? And, why was Eliott breathing hard against her ears?

Linus clicked his tongue. "Now that's a better ending, isn't it?" From behind Eliott's shoulder, the adviser smirked and lowered his unloaded crossbow. "The prince saves the princess and they lived happily. Ever. After."

Saved. Eliott saved her. From what?

Thick liquid started coating her fingertips. Slowly, she lifted her hands to her eyes. They came away red. No. Eliott—

As if by cue, his knees buckled. Edge lunged and caught him before he fell to his face. His arms flopped to his sides as Edge lowered him to the ground. From there, an unmistakable arrow protruded from his back. She didn't need to be a physician to know it pierced through the heart. It's only a matter of time before...

Edge shook her head. "It's alright, Eliott," she laid a hand over his chest and pressed her forehead to his. "I'll heal you. I have magic. I'll heal you."

She closed her eyes and began calling the faint power inside her. As fae, they were allowed minimal interaction with the natural energy around them. It allowed them to draw from its power to fix the broken, to piece together the shattered pieces. It would let her heal Eliott. She was able to heal a lark before. She could heal Eliott.

Flashes of Eury's death invaded her mind. Not again. She's not ready to lose someone again. Certainly not Eliott. They found each other after all these years. This couldn't be the end.

It just couldn't be.

A hand closed around hers. Her eyes wrenched open to find Eliott smiling up at her. Even through the thick trickle of blood dripping from the corner of his mouth to his fluttering eyelids and labored breaths. He didn't have long. "Run," he whispered. "I'll buy you time."

"Shut up, Eliott," Edge pleaded. "I'll heal you. We'll run together. How about Greerloch? No one would be able to find us there."

"Go without me," Eliott insisted, tightening his hold on Edge's hand. It allowed her to do no magic on his failing body. Already, the warm blood seeping from his wound and staining Edge's skirts was draining the life out of him. "Geoffer will be at the crest of the nearest hill. Find him. Go home."

Edge shook her head. "Not without you," she said.

Eliott was going to say something but a coughing fit overtook him. More blood stained his lips, chin, and neck. It dribbled down the front of his shirt. "I'll find you," he muttered as his eyes began closing. His hold on Edge began loosening. "I did it before, right? I'll do it again. A thousand times over."