judgement

You dropped your weapon. Laying in a pool of blood, the words Righteous Authority gleamed back at you in the dim light. They mocked you.

Desdemona laid beside you. Her body was riddled with bullets. The shot you'd administered with the laser rifle was to put her out of her misery. Danse has said she seemed familiar to him, or something like that. Had she really saved him from the Institute? Had she saved him just to die by his own weapon?

Righteous Authority. You looked around. The young knights paced around the catacomb, prodding bodies with their feet to make sure they were dead. A pistol discharged. You didn't flinch.

It was a bloodbath. They didn't realize they were in danger until you were upon them. Desdemona barely uttered a word before the knights behind you opened fire. Attempts to flee through the escape tunnel resulted in failure when a grenade blast brought it crashing down, crushing one of the agents. You recognized him. You saw his face for a split second before the rubble came down on him. He had vouched for you when you were here last time. He was the reason you got in.

This was authority. But nothing about it was right.

The battlefield was a sorry one. Some died with a gun at their side or in their hand, but most had nothing. There were people lying in blood-soaked sleeping bags.

But you were the victor. You survived, so you would tell the story. History was yours to create. You smiled and picked up your weapon.

You were the Brotherhood Sentinel who launched a calculated, preemptive strike on a shadowy band of special agents. You'd be praised as a military genius.

When you arrived, you uncovered boxes full of explosives and Brotherhood of Steel jumpsuits as well as marked-up maps of the airport. You had saved your brothers and sisters and the future of the Brotherhood.

That was what happened.

You were righteous by your own design.

You wiped the blood off of your weapon and joined the others. It got stuck in the grooves of the engraving. It dried reddish brown.