TWENTY SIX

Word Count: 1561

~Tove

Mary sure cross-legged on the bed in front of me while I lay sprawled out, staring at the roof.

"So, what's been going on?" She asks, looking around the room I've been enjoying for the past week.

I think she is a little stunned by how lavish it is. Since being around Keo, I've never stayed in a place that isn't impressive in some way. I suppose if I were as powerful as Keo, I wouldn't settle anywhere average either.

"I've been working on my magic with Keo. I'm getting better and better," I tell her brightly.

She doesn't share my optimism, shifting uncomfortably.

"He's not using you, is he?"

I shake my head, resting my hands on my stomach. "No, I agreed to do this. I think I'm doing the right thing."

There are a lot of lives that are potentially riding on my success with my powers. Even if most Angel-bloods would rather see them die, I don't share that opinion.

"Which is?"

"Would you be mad if I said I couldn't tell you?" It's not that I don't want to, it's just I can't guarantee that the information won't fall into the wrong hands.

Mary sighs, running her hand along the deep blue duvet.

"No...I suppose there is a risk I'll tell the Noble's, right?" she exclaims wistfully.

What I love so much about my best friend is she is often reasonably and logical. She had every right to distrust Keo, but also knows that I can't be entirely certain she won't say anything to the Noble's.

"Have they come back to talk to you since I left again?" I ask tentatively. I've been worried that Dax has subjected Mary to questioning because he had no success with me.

Mary shakes her head. "No, they have left me alone. I'm done with them after Dax took you off the street like that against your will."

Just like that, all the tension releases itself from my body in one long exhale.

"So you trust Keo?" I ask hopefully.

Mary's face screws up in utter disgust. "Absoloutely not. He's still a killer Demon who is going to corrupt and ruin you."

"He's not! I'm not stupid..." I remind her. I have to give myself credit for something, considering I managed to have the strength to tell him our mate bond likely won't work out, considering all the circumstances.

Mary's eyes narrow. "Alright, I'm holding you to that."

I sit up, hugging my knees. A haunting thought has entered my mind, successfully chasing away any imagery of a handsome Demon.

"I saw my mother, also," I tell her lowly. Mary has known me long enough to know that my relationship with my maternal figure is not positive.

"What? Here?" She looks around, as if my mother may magically materialise before us.

"No, in Territory Thirteen...It's a long story," I mutter, rubbing a hand down my face. Even thinking about it is tiring.

"Did you talk to her?"

"No. Keo told me she's a Demon Hunter." Knowing her, she would probably kill me just for being in proximity to one. That, or she would use me to get to Keo.

If she rid the world of him, the other Demon's would be easy to find.

"Well isn't that convenient, since your mate is one," May exclaims.