Chapter 17

Celeste

Celeste

"Ta-da!" Celeste cried as she threw open the door to her bedroom, stepped into the hall and struck a pose in the dress she was going to wear to the Christmas Tree Ball.

The dress was bright red, with a sweetheart neckline, three-quarter sleeves, and a full A-line skirt. She had paired it with glittery gold heels, a bright red lip, and a sprig of real holly in her copper curls.

Alicia was sitting on the couch with thick curlers in her own hair, waiting for the style to set. When she looked up, her eyes were bright with hope... But her hopeful expression immediately fell. Her features went stiff like she was trying very hard not to make a face.

"Oh," she said. "You look... nice."

"Nice?" Celeste echoed, sashaying into the living room and twirling around so Alicia could get a proper look. "Are you serious? This dress is only 'nice'?"

"I mean, you look pretty," Alicia said. "It's just kinda...."

"What?"

Alicia shrugged. "Meh."

Celeste came over and flopped down on the couch next to her friend. "That is not the reaction I was hoping for."

"I'm sorry," Alicia said. "I just thought you were gonna wear something a little more, I don't know, exciting."

"How is this not exciting?" Celeste asked, tossing up the edges of her skirt as she slumped against the cushions. "I bought this special for the ball. It wasn't cheap either."

"When did you buy it?"

"Last month," Celeste said. "Black Friday sale."

"That's it! That's the problem," Alicia said, nodding sagely. "You bought the dress before Jared broke up with you."

"It's a break," Celeste corrected. "And what does that have to do with anything?"

"Because the dress you bought is safe."

"Safe?"

"You bought that dress for a man you already had," Alicia explained. "Not for the guy you are trying to get back."

"Huh?"

Alicia sighed. "You need a dress that will make him notice you. A dress that says something."

"Doesn't this dress say something?"

"Sure, it says, 'Hello, I'm sweet and nice and and forgiving and I will be waiting for you whenever you're ready,'" Alicia said, putting on an over-sugared tone that sounded a little like Rebecca.

Celeste frowned. That wasn't the message she wanted to make. "Then what should my dress be saying?"

Alicia had to ponder that. "It should say 'come and get me,'" she said, "'or you'll lose me forever.'"