Chapter 19

Here we go, next chapter sorted and I've been looking to improve my writing by taking some extra time with my chapters. Beforehand I used to feel that every fight scene should be started and finished in a single chapter – hence Elgard happening in one chapter, and the stranded in the forest bit also being one chapter. The chapter is shorter than average, due to my hand and recovery, etc... writing is honestly hard at the moment, not painful - just hard.

I don't know why – maybe I assumed everyone was as impatient as me, and needed things done NAOW! Lol. Whatever the case, that has stopped, and I'm taking the time to spread things out a little bit. Yay for progress.

When this comes out there might also be a new story from me released titled "From Beyond" – which I heartily encourage you to check out. Suffice to say it's a humour story, but also a Blake x Jaune – so imagine Professor Arc mixed with One Good Turn.

I hope you'll give it a shot, even if it's just a prologue at this time.

///

Patreon . com (slash) Coeur

///

Beta: Super Saiyan Cyndaquill

///

Chapter 19

///

Nevermore had never seemed particularly dangerous before. Small and fragile, they were lower than even Beowolves on the scale of what Grimm could accomplish. Hell, even normal citizens could kill the common Nevermore, provided they could get hold of them.

He'd never expected to face them in such quantities however.

Jaune paused in an alleyway, panting raggedly with one arm against a nearby wall for support. Eyes closed, he did his best to ignore the painful stinging across his body, even the loud rustling of feathers around him. Blue eyes opened, just in time to see a raucously cawing Nevermore peck at his eyes.

"Fuck. Off!" Jaune screamed, catching it in one hand as he crushed its skull. A second later, his arm was lost in a mass of black and red, as more Nevermores streamed in towards his face. Those already surrounding him, frantically pecking at his body seemed to push even closer.

"Rargh!" He lurched to his feet, swinging his sword behind him before slashing in a circle. Like water the creatures parted before him, agile wings carrying them out of the path of his blade so quickly it might as well have been by magic. Exhausted, his arm dropped, blade clanging loudly on the cobbled floor as the mass of beaks and feathers dashed in once more, driving into every piece of skin available.

Frustrated burning stung his eyes.

He should have stayed with the others. He knew that... but when the mass of black-winged death had descended upon them, it had been difficult to even see where the others were - let alone reach them. They had all been driven into isolation, trying to escape the Grimm where they could.

It hadn't taken him long to realise how useless his weapon was against them. They were too fast, and were used to maneuvering mid-flight. It was like trying to hit a bird with a stick – nearly impossible.

It was times like this he desperately wished he had a semblance like Ruby's. No doubt she could keep up with them easily.

His delirious thoughts were interrupted by the rapid staccato of gunfire. As bodies began raining down on him, sharp feathery wings slapping into his face before collapsing to the ground as they began to smoke.